Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• majickal
    replied
    If vbulletin released a version of firebug......now there is a thought!!

I have to agree WOP, it does seem overly complicated and pretty much undocumented to the point where a learner (such as myself) could pick up the forum and change the overall scheme quickly without having to trawl through countless post bit etc..

In fact a single css file would be bloody brilliant! However, I am getting used to this warped way of dynamic styling that seems to be going on.

What would be fantastic is vbulletin released a version of firebug that gave the postbit (or whatever it was) reference so that us noobs could get going quickly and not waste time trying to reverse engineer the thought processes of the style system developers!

I'll get there, but it is really frustrating, complicated, underdone and generally inaccessible for significant changes whilst learning through fear of breaking the system. This could be far better imo.

Leave a comment:

• josiah
    replied
    Originally posted by setishock View Post

You could do what I did to learn them. Go to each one and make the item green and save it. Them go refresh the forum in another window and see where the green shows up.
    Great minds Etc, the problem is there are so many it is impossible to recall them, if they were labelled as I suggest then it is obvious, imho

Leave a comment:

• setishock
    replied
    Well here's a tibbit for ya. All stylevars that end in color control the color of text in the part they are associated with. It's not complicated. Just takes a little getting used to.

You could do what I did to learn them. Go to each one and make the item green and save it. Them go refresh the forum in another window and see where the green shows up.
    The pdf is for an older version. They started making changes to the stylevars in 4.0.8. As for firebug. If you know how to use it and know what you're looking at then yes it's a big help. But if you're getting tripped up by VB jargon then firebug will make you scream bloody murder.

Leave a comment:

• boodog
    replied
    I agree that the styling puzzle can be really difficult to figure out. There's a PDF that shows the names of many styles and using Firefox w/Firebug is very helpful.

I would hope that the folks at vB will eventually figure out a way for us to edit styles without it being such an exasperating experience.

Leave a comment:

• josiah
    replied
    I am aware of that andy but only after countless hours spent messing about in stylevars, the terminology used is very confusing indeed to someone not familiar with it and it does not direct a member to where is needed.

The text in post color is "postbit_color". The term postbit is used throughout the software to indicate something to do with the post. Once you get used to some of the terms it makes sense.

What is wrong with calling it what it is .....posttext_colour ????, or is that too easy to understand when trolling through stylevars to find it ??, as you say ,it is "something" to do with it but until time is spent finding out what that "something" is , it is useless and extremely time consuming.
    Last edited by josiah; Thu 12 May '11, 5:09am.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    The text in post color is "postbit_color". The term postbit is used throughout the software to indicate something to do with the post. Once you get used to some of the terms it makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• josiah
    started a topic [Forum] so complicated

so complicated

Why is it that all the stylevars Etc in admin cp are so difficult to decypher ?, for instance the text in a post...........why can it not be called "text in post font " or "text in post size", "text in post colour" Etc ?
    "Post background colour", "thread title size", "thread title font" Etc...........the whole lot is gobbledygook !, it seems to be designed to generate questions for those who developed the system to answer ? rather than a nice easy editable protocol that anyone can follow.