My host has disabled image.php because of a very high server load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] My host has disabled image.php because of a very high server load

This is with Image Processing Library set to none and only the registration page using Human Verification.

From my host

The script /forums/image.php is hit between 512 and 1552 times per day with 793 so far today.
    This itself isn't the real problem though, which is that the script initiates the ImageMagick "convert" command with specifications that cause CPU utilization for the command to run as high as 1300+% CPU.
    16 CPU's on the server so 13+ completely consumed by the processing of one convert process from your site like:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
    26413 myaccount 18 0 271m 3624 2164 R 1325.9 0.0 0:07.41 convert
    Can this be fixed?

Who the heck is your host?

Comment

Why do you ask?

Comment

Originally posted by steveneff View Post
        Why do you ask?
        maybe because this isn't a common complaint
        in other words, the script runs fine on many many servers, why is your hosting having the issue?

Also maybe a link to your forum would help..

cheers
        -Brandon
        -- Web Developer for hire
        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

maybe because this isn't a common complaint
          Oh I see.
          Not sure about naming my host as they are very very good and I wouldn't want this to make them to look bad.

www.englishfootball.info the site runs fine even with the ImageMagick issue.

Comment

bump

Comment

Image.php is used every time an avatar is called, 700 to 1500 requests, is tiny. There is no way it should be overloading their server.

Comment

Thanks Zachery, I'll ask them to look into it further.

Comment

Originally posted by steveneff View Post
                  This is with Image Processing Library set to none and only the registration page using Human Verification.
                  I suggest you turn off Human Verification that uses the character decipher system because it doesn't work and computers easily break the system. You will want to use the Questions & Answers system instead. Here are some tips to foil spammers.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...-on-your-forum

Comment

Thanks Andy,
                    I've added a questions & Answer but I had to turn Human Verification on for it to be on the registration page, is this ok, does it still use ImageMagick?

Comment

As long as you select Question & Answer Verification, ImageMagick will not be used during the registration process.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	3682128

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X