Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Styles All "Inherit" Most of the Default Style's Style Vars (vb4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Styles All "Inherit" Most of the Default Style's Style Vars (vb4)

I am having a problem that it seems other users have as well, but I can'tseem to find where anyone provided a real fix. (reference http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ht=child+style)

We upgraded last week and are now building new templates from scratch. Weforce our users to have whatever style we choose (we do a LOT of changes duringthe year, seasonal, holidays, etc.). So, we do not allow user choice of styles.

The issue has arisen that it seems that when we do not allow user choice,our styles all inherit nearly every attribute of the current default stylewe've chosen. This is not a parent/child issue. We created a second style, nota child of anything, and then made one of its children the default style. So wehave 1 - VB Default style, 2 - Our New Style, and 2a, 2b, 2c - all children ofour new style. 2b is our current forum default (mostly purple). When we viewthe other styles (1, 2, 2a, and 2c) to test them during development, ALL ofthem now have purple attributes, pretty much everything we've changed in themas far as I can tell, even though each of those styles has the correct colorset in the style variables that were modified. If I allow user choice,everything goes back to normal in 1, 2, 2a and 2c when we are testing, BUT, wedo not want to allow user choice!! And yet, I still need to be able to see whatthe other styles look like when testing...

This seems to be a bug. Is there a fix, or is there something I am missing?Thank you for your help.

I am not aware of any such bug, nor can I duplicate this. Please describe exactly what you are doing.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thank you for the quick response, Steve. It is very much appreciated. I will try to explain better...

Currently, we have 6 styles in the style manager. Let me try to explain how they are related:

#1 vB4 Default Style. I have changed NONE of the style variables on this from the default.
      #2 "Our Site" vB4 Default Style. This is exactly the same as Style #1 (the default). I just wanted to keep the original intact in case I really screwed something up in my modifications, so what I did was export Style #1 and then re-import it as Style #2 with a different name, and then I made my "base" new style (with my modifications such as our logo) the child of THIS one.
      #2-1 New and Improved 'Our Site' Style. This is a child of style #2, and it's where I made my base modifications, which were just to change the titleimage Style Variable to include our logo, and then I also changed navbar_font variable to match the font I wanted. I also made changes to some of the menu items on the Nav bar in this style. That's it.
      #2-1a Our Site Red Style. This is a child of #2-1, and the style variables I changed are: blockhead_background, doc_background, pagination_color, pagination_current_background, pagination_hover_border, footer_background, forumhead_background, forumhead_border, header_background, titleimage, link_color, linkhover_color, navbar_background, navbar_tab_background, navbar_tab_selected_background, postbithead_background, threadlisthead_background. Nearly all of these style variables were changed to color #b11c20, with the background gradient image intact. The exceptions are of course the title image, as well as the linkhover_color, which I made a slightly lighter red so it would stand out, the header_background, which I have set to a graphic, and the doc_background, which I also have set to a graphic.
      #2-1b Our Site Purple Style. This is also a child of #2-1, and thus, a "sibling" of 2-1a. All the same style variables are customized as in #2-1a, with color #99649a. The same exceptions exist for the logo, the linkhover color, and the doc_background, but in this one, header_background is blank so that the doc_background is visible around the titleimage.
      #2-1c Our Site Green Style. This is also a child of #2-1, and thus, a "sibling" of 2-1a and 2-1b. All the same style variables are customized as in #2-1a, with color #6F844E. The same exceptions exist for the logo, the linkhover color, and the doc_background, and, as in the purple one above, the header_background is blank so that the doc_background is visible around the titleimage.

Currently, our default style for all the users to see is #2-1b, the purple one. We do NOT allow user choice, so everyone sees the purple style unless they are an Administrator with access to the Style Manager and load a different one for testing purposes.

While we are creating these new styles that give us some base colors to use with our seasonal graphics, we want to view them, of course, to see if the colors look right, match with the title image and background graphic, etc. HOWEVER, my fellow administator and I experience the same issue when we click on the style name from the Style Manager: EVERY style, from the basic VB4 all the way down to the 2-1 children, are ALL PURPLE. Every style variable that we have changed, no matter what color we changed it to, is purple #99649a. The ONLY style variable that correctly represents for any of the Styles is titleimage. The rest are all inherited from #2-1b, which is currently the default for all users.

I have tested this with all of the styles, choosing each one from the Style Manager, and all "inherit" the purple style variables with the exception of the titleimage style variable. The steps I took that gave me this result were:

1) Logged into my site.
      2) Accessed the Admin CP.
      3) Accessed the Style Manager.
      4) Clicked the title of any style.
      5) Each style (1, 2, 2-1, 2-1a, 2-1c) were showing the purple attributes, despite the fact that their individual style variables as listed above were showing the correct color.

I logged out and logged back in and they were all still purple when I tried to "test" load from the Style Manager.

I found similar issues as what I'm describing in the post I originally linked above, and here as well: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ht=child+style. These posts, where the "User Choice" setting was discussed, made me decide to TRY allowing user choice of styles in an attempt to see if this was a work-around. Here are the steps I took:

1.) Changed the User Setting in Options to "Yes" for Allow User Choice of Styles.
      2.) Logged out of my site.
      3.) Logged back into my site.
      4.) Went to the Admin CP.
      5.) Went to the Style Manager.
      6.) Clicked on the title of a style (the first one I did was style #2-1a as listed above).
      7.) Everything was the color it should be, and the two background images displayed correctly as well, EXCEPT for this strange oddity I just found...the green one (#2-1c) still shows all purple. I have yet to see what this green one actually looks like with all of its color changes! I have verified that there are different greens listed in the style variables for this one (I see that my co-admin used several greens in this one, not a single green like I was doing.)

So, I guess maybe the "User Choice" option isn't it, since the green one still uses the purple. At any rate, my co-admin and I TRIED to live with the "new" user default setting of letting the users choose their style by only putting a checkmark next to the ONE style we wanted them to see in the Style Manager main page. The problem is that it seems that whenever you create a new style, it automatically defaults to be checked, and, since we've never had to worry about the checkmarks before, we find we forget to uncheck it. We were quite disheartened when several users commented on how they enjoyed being able to see our new "Easter" graphics...long before they were ready to be unveiled. I don't think that forcing us to allow user choice is a good work-around for this issue.

I hope this explanation helps you understand our issue. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Okay, another quick update...I was using Chrome 10.0 when I did all the testing above and the green wouldn't display correctly. I just tried all the same steps in IE 8.0, and the green DOES display correctly when I allow user choice and then choose it from my Style drop down in the lower left. Very odd...I did try logging out of Chrome and logging back in one more time and that didn't fix the green issue.

Comment

It is a parent/child, child/child issue. Child styles inherit changes from thier parent and other child styles in that group. If you have parent A and child 1,2,3, when you makes changes to any of that group the rest will inherit the changes.

Comment

Thanks, Seti, but I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. Parents and Grandparents should not inherit attributes of their children/grandchildren, nor should the Grandparents' neighbor three doors down who is no relation. That's pretty much the equivalent of what I'm experiencing.

I'm beginning to think it's a caching issue. I set the board to the red style this morning, but when I personally looked at it (in IE9), it had the purple with only the title image being red. Yikes! I thought my whole membership was seeing that, but when I loaded the forum in Chrome, it was fine. I cleared all my cookies and cache back in IE9, and then it was fine. But as soon as I loaded the Admin CP and started loading test styles from the Style Manager, it was dispalying the current default style attributes in every style.

This is really frustrating me. I need to be able to see the styles while they are in development, but I don't want to allow user choice. Has anyone experienced this? I've had it happen in IE, Chrome, and Firefox. It never happened in 3.x. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

I fell back to IE8 after having some serious rendering issues with IE9. VB4 is so different from VB3 in many ways and skining is one of them. Only suggestion I have left at this point is to set a single theme for your live forum for now. Set up a hidden test forum and work off of that till you get this resolved.

Comment

You're not experiencing it in IE8? I get it in all my browsers, inclunding IE 8 and 9.

Thanks for the tip...we did revert to our test forum, but it would be nice to get it to work in our real forum. Hope a solution can be found.

Comment

Just a friendly reminder that we are still looking to find a solution other than allowing user choice or making all our templates in the test forum. Thank you.

Comment

Please report this in the vB4 Bug Tracker here:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X