Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change "New Post" button to search last 24 hrs by default?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Change "New Post" button to search last 24 hrs by default?

I found this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...w-search-type?

But when I searched the navbar code there were no search parameters like the ones described. Does anyone know how I can change the New Posts button to last 24 hrs?

The reason I ask is because my users are complaining that they use the New Posts button a lot but after they click a link it disappears from the list. I told them that it was because it wasn't "new" anymore, that's how it's supposed to work. They insist that every other VB forum they've been on doesn't do this.

What your members are noticing is the two different behaviors the What's New? tab performs. First let me clarify that What's New? and New Posts does the same thing.

When a member is logged in, the What's New? link will show latest threads that have new posts and the member has not read.

When the member is NOT logged in, the What's New? link shows the latest threads in the past 24 hours.

Comment

That could be the case, but regardless of the perception, I feel that they would still rather it search for the past 24 hours by default

Comment

Originally posted by k4zyn View Post
        That could be the case, but regardless of the perception, I feel that they would still rather it search for the past 24 hours by default
        I think if you were to change the behavior to Today's Posts from New Posts, there would be many who would complain that they want to default behavior which is New Posts.

On my forum there were a few that wanted to use the Today's Posts behavior so I put that link into Quick Links.

Comment

Just search in the templates and change all instances of do=getnew to do=getdaily.

You may also want to edit the phrase "New Posts" to say "Today's Posts".

Job done!
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
            Just search in the templates and change all instances of do=getnew to do=getdaily.

Job done!
            Only problem is if you do that 99% of the members will complain as opposed to just 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
              Only problem is if you do that 99% of the members will complain as opposed to just 1%.
              Well the user was asking how to do it so I explained it. A support forum isn't for passing judgement on what someone wants to do, merely advising how it can be done, or that it cannot be done.

In this case, my users generally prefer getdaily also, but I have both links available in the navbar.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Job done!
                I tried that but maybe I looked in the wrong place.......there are no do=getnew strings in there

I like the idea of making a new button.....maybe I'll try my hand at that.

Comment

Originally posted by k4zyn View Post
                  I like the idea of making a new button.....maybe I'll try my hand at that.
                  Let us know if you need help doing that.

Comment

Well the user was asking how to do it so I explained it. A support forum isn't for passing judgement on what someone wants to do, merely advising how it can be done, or that it cannot be done.
                    There is nothing wrong with passing judgement as the experience passed is often very useful for those wishing to modify their forum. The one problem with modifying a default behavior is that people get used to a certain function and if that function isn't available the forum becomes more difficult to use.

Adding a second link is a much better option, that's why you and I both have it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                      Let us know if you need help doing that.
                      I got it, thanks though Andy I searched for a few minutes to understand what needed to be edited. Works like a charm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X