Automatic Updating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] Automatic Updating?

When are internet brands going to pull their finger out and allow automatic updating of vbulletin?

Wordpress has had this for about 2 years now and that's not even a paid for CMS.

Is it going to arrive in version 4? All these security updates are a pain in the arse.

Firstly, please mind the language...

Second, I believe it's been discussed however I'm not sure whether anything will come of it at this time without significant changes to the way vBulletin works.
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
    - "Quick Route" Interface...
    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Forgive me. British English, arse is rarely considered swearing anymore. Truly did not mean any offence.

Comment

Oh yeah. I'd just love to get up one morning and log in to a broken forum caused by an upgrade forced on me automaticly. No thank you, I'll pass...

Comment

haha, you're interpretation of automatic upgrade is unfortunately false. I should have been more syntactically and pedantically correct and said "automatic upgrade PROCESS". That is, the forums can download the update files from the vbulletin servers, unpack the package, run the upgrade etc.

nobody mentioned having an upgrade being "forced" on you. Let me guess? You also spend time on other forums b***ing about M$ too?

Comment

Originally posted by downloadsUK View Post
            nobody mentioned having an upgrade being "forced" on you. Let me guess? You also spend time on other forums b***ing about M$ too?
            That is how interpreted your message too.
            ...steven
            www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
            bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
            "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

LOL! As for cranking off about M$, no I gave up on them years ago. It is what it is...
              But my comment you responded to is based on the just recent "revamping" of the stylevars and many other things that they do. Leaving users to find out the hard way.
              My observations on how they do things would give me pause to have that feature running on my forum software. Based on recent events it most likely would not have an off switch.
              So I stand behind what I said.

Comment

But again, whilst I agree that the stylevars and a whole bunch of other design choices in vbulletin 4 have been rampant and unmitigated disasters and mistakes, one after the other, you are still fundamentally talking about a completely different thing.

Wordpress, and it's automatic updating system doesn't need an off switch, as it doesn't "automatically update". What I'm talking about it a way to update the core files, and add the security patches without having to go through the laborious process of going to the vbulletin website, which, I might add, you can't let your browser remember the password for, going into the members area, downloading the package, unzipping the files, zipping the upload folder back up, uploading it via FTP, unzippping it, deleting install.php, disabling the board and the plugins, running the upgrader, dealing with template fixes and or changes, re-enabling everything, checking for serious bugs. It's is literally ONE click with WP and its automatic update system. it doesn't force **** on you, just lets you know when there's an update.

And that's been in place for 2 years. We chose vbulletin as in the past it had a great reputation as a solid forum and with the new CMS it seemed golden. But my god, it's just ridiculous.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X