Yo, so this .htaccess stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] Yo, so this .htaccess stuff.

I noticed that in the "do_not_upload" folder, that you guys provided the .php files that you need for the blog / CMS / forums to put them in sub-folders on your site.

now. I already followed a guide that's lets me put my CMS under the domain root, but there was no way to install each product seperately.

The way vbulletin installs everything, CMS / forums / blog comes all under one folder. On my server, that means /forums.

So, the way I have it set up is:
    - CMS under www.mydomain.com
    - forums under /forums
    - blog under /blog

I worked out that I have to change "vb-dir.php" to have have the forum dir relative path in the variable name (something you've neglected to tell anyone ANYWHERE in the documentation).

So - I noticed a while back there was some dude who provided .htaccess files for vbulletin because you'd been too lazy assed to make them. But poking around I've found several .htaccess files in the "do_not_upload" folder. I'm guessing these are meant for people who want to do the sensible thing and run their different components out of normal URLs and want to use the SEO friendly URL system.

However.... this is where it gets confusing. You have a separate .htaccess file for each component : forum / CMS / blog and another that I can only assume is for the root of the folder.

However, for someone like me, who has CMS in the root, forums in /forums and blog in /blog, what's my course of action for using these .htacccess files if at all, or is there a better alternative?

Are you using mod_rewrite URLS? If so, the primary .htaccess that is in the apache2 directory where you have vBulletin installed. You place the one in the forum directory in your forum directory and the one in the blog directory in your blog directory. If you're CMS is accessed from where you have vBulletin installed, then you don't need to do anything with its .htaccess.

You shouldn't have to edit vb_dir.php unless you are accessing the forum, blog or cms outside of the directory patch of your install. That is if you have forums/blogs/cms as a sudbirectory of your install then you don't need to change anything here.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/t...insubdirectory

The installation is quite simple until it is overcomplicated like your message above.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Are you using mod_rewrite URLS? If so, the primary .htaccess that is in the apache2 directory where you have vBulletin installed. You place the one in the forum directory in your forum directory and the one in the blog directory in your blog directory. If you're CMS is accessed from where you have vBulletin installed, then you don't need to do anything with its .htaccess.

You shouldn't have to edit vb_dir.php unless you are accessing the forum, blog or cms outside of the directory patch of your install. That is if you have forums/blogs/cms as a sudbirectory of your install then you don't need to change anything here.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/t...insubdirectory

The installation is quite simple until it is overcomplicated like your message above.
      I would beg to differ about the "simpleness" of the installation. You refer to the "vbulletin" default install like you have a choice to install each component, the vBulletin files, forums, cms and blog as separate entities. This is patently false and misleading. The forums ARE the default installation directory for vbulletin. Hence my question about the .htaccess files.

Unless you install the vbulletin files in the root of your domain (probably a silly idea if you want to run anything else on it) like I did (and quite a lot of others it seems from searches, like /forums) AND you want to use friendly URLS with .htaccess, your manual, help files and installation instructions are grossly ill-equipped to deal with such scenarios. http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/t...insubdirectory shows me bugger all. It doesn't say WHAT the files are, WHAT each one does, WHERE it can be found, or WHERE it should be put them.

You supply FOUR .htaccess files. -> I have 3 sections. domain root -> CMS (set in the admincp options, used an index.php from yet another help article) , blog in -> /blog and the forums / VB installation in /forums. So which one to use in the forum root? CMS or the one just in the Apache2 folder?

Additionally, this does in fact really make you need to change vb_dir.php because you need to be able to tell VB that you have the forums / VB installation in a sub-directory - otherwise it breaks.

Awaiting your wisdom...

Kind regards
      Last edited by downloadsUK; Sat 2nd Apr '11, 10:56am. Reason: added more info

Comment

Are you using vBulletin in different physical folders?

domain.com/ cms
        domain.com/forums/* forums
        domain.com/blog/* blogs
        physical folder differences, use the componet folders

Or are you going to install all of vbulletin into one folder like domain.com/forum/ and use mod_rewrite for your forum urls?
        domain.com/forum/content/name
        domain.com/forum/forums/forumname
        domain.com/forum/thread/threadname
        domain.com/forum/blog/blogname

Comment

www.mydomain.com

vBulletin (i.e. the forums) and all related files in /forums folder. You CAN'T install it in separate folders.

CMS IS the root of the domain. www.mydomain.com/index.php -> CMS

FORUMS -> www.mydomain.com/forums

BLOG -> www.mydomain.com/blog

trouble is, ALL the files, content.php, blog.php. forum.php ARE all in the /forums folder because of the "vbulletin" installation doesn't distinguish between them by default...

Comment

You are correct you cannot install them in different folders, however you can move the cms, and the blogs, etc into their own folders.

Follow the instructions listed in AdminCP > Settings > Options > Site Name / URL / Contact Details > Component URLS
            If you're using vBSEO, or another third party seo addon, contact them for help instead of using the component URLs

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X