Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark.B
    replied
    I'm afraid with some people they will reject everything you say on this, and doggedly stick with their ancient browsers no matter what.

All you can do with these people is say, "sorry, the web will increasingly cease to work for you if you don't do something. As things stand, I cannot do anything further to assist you with the avatar since you are unable or unwilling to investigate more modern browsers."

Leave a comment:

• mark99
    replied
    IE8 shipped with Windows 7, while IE7 shipped with Windows Vista and also runs fine on XP.

But if he can't stomach that then just point him to Chrome, which is light weight for your system and very fast/modern.

Leave a comment:

• Booth
    replied
    Thanks for that Zachery, I will forward your responses and if he posts his computer spec. I suspect it's quite old if Firefox isn't running as well as IE6 on it.

IE6... Urgh...

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    IE7 ran fine in XP.
    I would be very curious to know what he is browsing the web on. Most all new computers even cheapos from dell/hp come with 2-3gb of ram installed by default which is so so much more than what is needed. Ram is dirt cheep, unless he is running SD/DDR1 ram. In which case he has a host of other issues. Nothing stops him from using something like Chrome, or Firefox. If I were personally stuck on an XP machine I would use Chrome/Firefox.

I normally am running in a Windows 7 install with 8gb of ram and no swap. I can only hit 8gb with multiple massive games open (2-3 instances of wow).

Leave a comment:

• Booth
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    Not sure what else you can do really. He is using a 9 year old browser on the modern web.
    I agree but this is his reply...

I also pointed out that in order for IE7 to run efficiently it needed Windows 7. Windows 7 would run on architecture designed for XP but it was RAM hungry and relatively speaking, slow. So to get the best out of these new flash web sites I would at least need more RAM, but preferably a new motherboard and faster CPU and of course OS 7.
    What would be your reply to that?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Not sure what else you can do really. He is using a 9 year old browser on the modern web.

Leave a comment:

• Booth
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    Get him to upgrade to a moderm browser :/
    Firefox
    IE8/9
    Chrome
    Opera
    Safari
    We've tried that

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by Booth View Post
    A member on our forums has reported pixelated avatars. However nobody else appears to be having the same problem. He is using IE6.

Is this an issue with IE6? Any ideas anyone?
    Get him to upgrade to a moderm browser :/
    Firefox
    IE8/9
    Chrome
    Opera
    Safari

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Yes...vB4 will look pants in IE6. The avatars go huge, but a lot more will also look awful.

You can specify a max width and height to improve it, but when I did that it broke something else, not sure what.

We'll probably get an old argument going now, but the user really needs to either upgrade their IE6 to at least IE7, or else use Firefox.Chrome etc.

Send them here:
    http://www.browserchoice.eu

You can see for yourself what it looks like by installing IE TESTER and viewing your site in an IE6 tab.

Leave a comment:

• Booth
    started a topic [Forum] Pixelated avatars in IE6

Pixelated avatars in IE6

A member on our forums has reported pixelated avatars. However nobody else appears to be having the same problem. He is using IE6.

Is this an issue with IE6? Any ideas anyone?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X