No announcement yet.

Does the CMS have full permissions now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] Does the CMS have full permissions now?

I'm wondering if this and similar issues have been handled:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=37461

I need users to be able to create new articles but be placed on hold (including any edits they may make) until approved by an admin. This should have been simple, in theory, but nothing is with regard to the CMS. Without this minimal but important funciton, every VB CMS becomes a horror haven for spam.... here's to hoping...
    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

That is already available, but there is no option to disable them from editing a published article if that is what you are asking.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      That is already available, but there is no option to disable them from editing a published article if that is what you are asking.
      Steve - as always thanks for the unbelievable support. Are you saying that there is no option to prevent a user from editing a published article at this time, e.g. like you can with posts so that a user can only edit a post for a certain period of time?

I guess the scenario I'm thinking about is the basic CMS permissions that virtually all have:

1) Subscriber - Read access of articles, nothing more.
      2) Contributor -- they can also send in articles for submission but cannot do anything further
      3) Editor -- they can contribute and edit articles but cannot approve them for viewing
      4) Admin - they can contribute, edit and publish articles

If anyone can contribute and article and that article cannot be locked, this is a spammer's paradise. I remember this being the case when I first saw the CMS and didn't use it. Right now just wall posting has been killing me - the choice is either make all user profiles non-viewable by non-members or have spammers come to the site and spam their own walls or those of other profiles they have created. But with a CMS, it's even worse. These are feature articles that you may have approved that then become edited months later with several embedded links.

Comment

Originally posted by slinky View Post
        Steve - as always thanks for the unbelievable support. Are you saying that there is no option to prevent a user from editing a published article at this time, e.g. like you can with posts so that a user can only edit a post for a certain period of time?
        Yes, the is correct. There is no editing time option in the CMS as there is for the forums.

I know this doesn't help much, but personally I would never give anyone permissions to create CMS content if they were going to be a potential spammer. But that is just me.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
          Yes, the is correct. There is no editing time option in the CMS as there is for the forums.

I know this doesn't help much, but personally I would never give anyone permissions to create CMS content if they were going to be a potential spammer. But that is just me.
          I agree with you -- here is the problem I'm facing, one that I thought was obvious from the time the CMS was created:

User signs up to the website and becomes active. User wants to submit an article for consideration for publication. Admin reviews, accepts and publishes the article, which stays static on the site. The problem is that I have no idea which of my 100+ registered users may one day want to submit an article and I don't want to make that process difficult.

Comment

I understand. Please feel free to make a 'New Feature' request here:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa

We take all suggestions into account when determining the feature set for new versions but unfortunately we cannot confirm whether a particular feature will be included in a version.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

This is still the case and is a very serious problem. Someone may later become angry with you and then go through the articles they published and insert malicious content, such as a virus, or objectionable material, or content to get you banned from an advertising program, etc. I dont think there is any notice when people edit articles, so the admin would never know it happened.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X