Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still can't change post body background colour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Still can't change post body background colour?

Hi,

Back when I changed over from 3.8, I ran into what was described as a known bug, and found a workaround and never really thought anything more of it. Today, I updated from 4.0.3 to 4.1.1 and it is still there!

Just in case it isn't a bug after all, I'd appreciate someone from VB just confirming this for me, cause it seems like a really odd thing not to have fixed by now.

The body background of a post, the bit where your typed text goes, on my forum, it is set to a light grey colour, but it always defaults to white, and I am unable to change it back. I found a workaround which involves editing the postbit template and adding a small bit of code and this works.

But my question is, surely this is a common thing for people to want to change, so why does it have to be so difficult?

Thanks.

I've just changed the postbit_background StyleVar on my 4.1.1 test site and it updated the background colour fine.

If you create a new style with no parent and update that StyleVar in that style, do you have the same problem?
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
    - "Quick Route" Interface...
    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

I am having this problem too, and I didnt use a parent forum. Mine defaults to the body background.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
        I've just changed the postbit_background StyleVar on my 4.1.1 test site and it updated the background colour fine.

If you create a new style with no parent and update that StyleVar in that style, do you have the same problem?
        I don't see why all of you support people constantly reply to someone asking about the POST BACKGROUND color, with a reply regarding the POSBIT User Info Part! It's not the USER INFO BACKGROUND we need to change, but the actual POST CONTENT BACKGROUND COLOR.
        So yeah. . . How the heck does one change the background color of the post itself !?!?!?!? For Petes sake people. . . I have found a ton of these questions being asked without a single proper answer.
        Last edited by ESAD; Thu 14th Apr '11, 7:48pm.
        www.GigaThreads.com

Comment

Add this to your additional.css

.postbit .postbody {
          background: <color value>;
          }

replace <color value> with the color that you want in hex, rgb or word format

Comment

Originally posted by ESAD View Post
            I don't see why all of you support people constantly reply to someone asking about the POST BACKGROUND color, with a reply regarding the POSBIT User Info Part! It's not the USER INFO BACKGROUND we need to change, but the actual POST CONTENT BACKGROUND COLOR.
            So yeah. . . How the heck does one change the background color of the post itself !?!?!?!? For Petes sake people. . . I have found a ton of these questions being asked without a single proper answer.
            Posbit before changing the postbit_backround stylevar:

Click image for larger version

Name:	postbit_background_before.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	3681939

Posbit after changing the postbit_backround stylevar:

Name:	postbit_background_after.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	3681940

If there is another part of the psotbit you wish to change, please be more descriptive so that we can give you the answer you want.
            Vote for:

-

Comment

Originally posted by fotografik View Post
              Add this to your additional.css

.postbit .postbody {
              background: <color value>;
              }

replace <color value> with the color that you want in hex, rgb or word format
              exactly what I was looking for.. thanks

Comment

PLEASE HELP! - Live Site

I'm having the same problem also. I've tried editing the additional css template and that isn't working either. Any suggestions?

problem fixed. When I added an image for the normal background, it also added it at the postbit_background. I removed the image and works perfectly. Thanks.

ps... It is: postbit_background The post above says postbit_backround I spent 10 minutes trying to find postbit_backround. LOL
                Last edited by xinnek; Fri 22nd Apr '11, 10:35am.

Comment

It is the postbit_background stylevar!

Well it certainly works in the legacy postbit. I cannot imagine it would't work in the other one.

I've changed it across half a dozen styles and it worked every time.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.0 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Only works in Legacy.

Name:	postbit_background Legacy.JPG
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	3682031Click image for larger version

Name:	postbit_background.JPG
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	3682030

1st pic (legacy) has the correct background.
                    2nd pic background does not follow postbit_background.

It's a bug: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-5207

It's "resolved backlog" which I guess means they have a fix, but nobody bothered to put the one-line fix for it into 4.1.3?

And Trevor, you'd do well to check into these things before you answer. If you don't know, then check first. You guys are supposed to be the experts.
                    -Andy.
                    http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
                    http://www.mindplacesupport.com

Comment

Originally posted by Meestor_X View Post
                      And Trevor, you'd do well to check into these things before you answer. If you don't know, then check first. You guys are supposed to be the experts.
                      With respect, I did ask for further clarification but at no point was I advised that it wasn't the Legacy layout they were using.
                      Vote for:

-

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                        With respect, I did ask for further clarification but at no point was I advised that it wasn't the Legacy layout they were using.
                        Oh come on. Are you serious? Changing to Legacy takes an active effort. The assumption (if there is one) should be that a person HAS NOT changed from the default. How do you know that the OP even KNOWS about the Legacy Postbit setting?

Are you really trying to say that you knew all along that the default layout had this specific bug that the OP even mentioned but that legacy didn't, but because the OP didn't specifically say that they had changed to legacy, you were ignoring that possibility? You're kidding, right? You also did not ask whether they were using Legacy, and you didn't ask about the fix that person had applied to correct the problem.

Just admit that you should have asked about Legacy and should have looked into it before answering. It's ok. Really.
                        -Andy.

Comment

Oh come on. Are you serious? Changing to Legacy takes an active effort. The assumption (if there is one) should be that a person HAS NOT changed from the default. How do you know that the OP even KNOWS about the Legacy Postbit setting?

Are you really trying to say that you knew all along that the default layout had this specific bug that the OP even mentioned but that legacy didn't, but because the OP didn't specifically say that they had changed to legacy, you were ignoring that possibility? You're kidding, right? You also did not ask whether they were using Legacy, and you didn't ask about the fix that person had applied to correct the problem.

Just admit that you should have asked about Legacy and should have looked into it before answering. It's ok. Really.
                          The default setting of vB4, is not the default setting of vB3, and is not the administraotrs choice.

Comment

Legacy *is* the default in vB4.
                            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.0 Demo
                            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                              Legacy *is* the default in vB4.
                              My bad. Certainly makes no sense to call it "Legacy" then.
                              Still, someone should have asked this key question as to whether the OP was using "Legacy" or not.
                              -Andy.

Comment