X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENF
    replied
    Originally posted by Chet View Post
    I'm actually fairly happy they are there due to the nature of my site.. But are these members who sign up bots too? How can they be bots when im using a captcha?
    reCAPTCHA is weak, not nearly as effective as it was in the preceding years. You'll need to have Q&A or one of the modifications from vBulletin.org to more effectively ward off spam bots.

Btw, Spiders and Web bots are not the same as the spam bots that register and spam. Spiders and Web bots crawl your site for content, such as Google, Yahoo, etc. Other web bots can be scrapers, pulling content and posting it elsewhere...

Leave a comment:

• Chet
    replied
    I'm actually fairly happy they are there due to the nature of my site.. But are these members who sign up bots too? How can they be bots when im using a captcha?

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    Chet - you'll also want to update your vBulletin spider file. That will help identify the spiders/bots when they come to visit. (As viewed in who's online)

Download this file: http://www.wolfshead-solutions.com/spiders-list

Then, replace your spiders_vbulletin.xml file in your ./includes/xml folder on your server.

This file is updated periodically and is also overwritten again when you upgrade vBulletin, so keep an eye for that. (I usually delete the included spiders file on new vb downloads, before uploading to the server.)

Leave a comment:

• toon79
    replied
    I would say most are bots, see your who's online section and you'll be able to tell

Leave a comment:

• Chet
    started a topic [Forum] Are this many guests normal?

Are this many guests normal?

There are currently 316 users online. 34 members and 282 guests
    Most users ever online was 316, 1 Minute Ago at 11:32 AM.

Why do all these guests just hang out? What are they doing looking at sections with nothing in them? My # users online has just gone up and never down. Whats going on? I have set the amount of time people can stay on very generous, but these people dont get off... are they bots or something?