Have I been hacked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Have I been hacked?

One of my members brought an email he recieved to my attention today. Here is the body of the message:
    Hello dear
    Greetings to you,My name is Celinah, a young girl, i saw your profile in this site at (www.homebuiltairplanes.com) and i decide to communicate with you and it will please me if you will be my friend, i wish if you will respond to my mail box so that i will tell you more about my self, i hope to hear from you.
    yours Celinah
    I did a search and there have been some similar emails on other vB sites. The email did not come from the vB email system. The only way I can figure is that somehow email addresses have been compromised or the user's email address was "mined" by a bot. He did post his email address in the open forum on a few occasions.

What do you guys think?
    Jake Crause
    www.homebuiltairplanes.com

I don't think you've been hacked. If he's ever had his email address out in the open, it's likely to have been picked up by a bot.

If a user gets a mail like that and never has exposed their email address, then I would give it a second thought and re-check everything
    To be updated...

Comment

Personally I would edit the OP... removing the malicious link from the post. You're spreading here, whatever you think is there.

JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of Mirrors View Post
        Personally I would edit the OP... removing the malicious link from the post. You're spreading here, whatever you think is there.

JMO.
        It's a link to the OP's own site... nothing malicious there.

From what I could gather based on some quick fact checking, the original email looks like a phishing attempt where a person (or bot) sends an email to a user to appear 'associated' with whatever forum/bbs the email was found on. Kind of like "Hey I know you from this forum and... " - trying to build trust or fool the unsuspecting target into a scam of sorts.
        To be updated...

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
          It's a link to the OP's own site... nothing malicious there.

From what I could gather based on some quick fact checking, the original email looks like a phishing attempt where a person (or bot) sends an email to a user to appear 'associated' with whatever forum/bbs the email was found on. Kind of like "Hey I know you from this forum and... " - trying to build trust or fool the unsuspecting target into a scam of sorts.
          I'd assumed the OP didn't edit the phishing email, pardon.

It's a form of social engineering I've seen elsewhere too. Thanks for clarifying the link!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X