Facebook signups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Facebook signups

I'm just trying to understand how this all works, there seems to be extremely little documentation about it apart from one page in the manual. Even then, I've got it working ok on 4.1.1

One question, is it possible for someone who registers via facebook to choose their own forum username at the registration process? IME most people use their real names for facebook, but don't like to do so on forums.

Secondly, I get a LOT of spam registrations on my forum, do spammers arrive via facebook too?
    Motorsport Forums

Yes, IF you do not have one click signup enabled.
    They could.

Comment

When a user connects into vBulletin via Facebook, there is an option to choose a user name. The field is populated by their facebook name by default, but easily changed to something else. (I have the auto-register process turned to OFF because it's incompatible with StopForumSpam in the manner I use it.)

Spammers from facebook? Possible... but those guys are using automated scripts. I would imagine that creating Facebook accounts just to spam would be a waste of time vs. just attacking with headless bots.
      To be updated...

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
        When a user connects into vBulletin via Facebook, there is an option to choose a user name. The field is populated by their facebook name by default, but easily changed to something else. (I have the auto-register process turned to OFF because it's incompatible with StopForumSpam in the manner I use it.)
        How does a user do that?
        Motorsport Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hewitt View Post
          How does a user do that?
          When the click on the Facebook Connect button, they get a pop-up that asks for permission for Facebook to share info with your forum. Then, on the next screen, a modified registration process comes up. At the very top they have a choice associate their facebook login with an existing forum login -OR- create a new account. From that point, the registration process is basically the same as any new user.

See attached example:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ENF; Fri 28 Jan '11, 5:21am.
          To be updated...

Comment

I see, this is without the "Auto-register" facility, right? Certainly when I test it having already logged into facebook I just click "Register" and it creates an account for me immediately, which is good as it makes it easier for users to join the forum, but doesn't allow a choice of name, I guess there's no way around that?
            Motorsport Forums

Comment

I see, this is without the "Auto-register" facility, right? Certainly when I test it having already logged into facebook I just click "Register" and it creates an account for me immediately, which is good as it makes it easier for users to join the forum, but doesn't allow a choice of name, I guess there's no way around that?
              If auto register is turned on, the user doesn't have a choice of user names. It goes with whatever name is displayed on Facebook.

User clicks on Facebook connect, gives permission and then it gives them an option to go into their profile and edit settings etc. etc.
              To be updated...

Comment

OK, thanks!
                Motorsport Forums

Comment

Hmm, both options aren't ideal. Auto-register is great, but then a user can't choose their own name - not good.
                  But if you don't have auto register then you have to go through the full registration process, including clicking on links in emails etc, which defeats the entire purpose IMO as the idea is that you allow facebook users to go through a quick registration because they've already gone through the email verification process on the facebook side.

Just a simple way at registration or after to allow facebook users (and only facebook users) to change their name would be useful, but I guess that's a vb.org thing.
                  Motorsport Forums

Comment

I think ultimately what I'd like to do is have users register in the normal way but if they've authorised through facebook first then they'll skip the email verification and moderator approval process.
                    Motorsport Forums

Comment

I guess the easiest way will be to enable auto signup but then code my own name change page/script which will allow users in the facebook group to choose a forum username and password.
                      Motorsport Forums

Comment

I also can't figure out what happens if someone signs up with a facebook name which is the same as an existing member, which is why it's crazy they don't get to choose a name first.
                        Motorsport Forums

Comment

I also can't figure out what happens if someone signs up with a facebook name which is the same as an existing member, which is why it's crazy they don't get to choose a name first.
                          Never seen it happen as of yet.

As long as you don't use the Auto-Register function, they can choose a user name.

I'm willing to bet there's some function built in to check to see if the name is already taken. Actually, I'll ask my counter-part to check this and she'll post back here later.
                          To be updated...

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
                            Never seen it happen as of yet.

As long as you don't use the Auto-Register function, they can choose a user name.

I'm willing to bet there's some function built in to check to see if the name is already taken. Actually, I'll ask my counter-part to check this and she'll post back here later.
                            Gee, Thanks for the illustrious title. :P

I don't have to test this, I already know.

If a facebook user tries to register on a forum where their user-name is already taken, it just changes modes. In other words, it goes to the 'non-Auto register' mode. From that point forward, the user can select a user-name and complete the process.

HTH!

Comment

Originally posted by Katelyn View Post
                              Gee, Thanks for the illustrious title. :P
                              You're welcome.

Originally posted by Katelyn

I don't have to test this, I already know.

If a facebook user tries to register on a forum where their user-name is already taken, it just changes modes. In other words, it goes to the 'non-Auto register' mode. From that point forward, the user can select a user-name and complete the process.

HTH!
                              Didn't expect you to be up so early, but thanks for the confirmation.
                              To be updated...

Comment