No announcement yet.

How to charge a subscription to one of 2 usergroups after they used vB for free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] How to charge a subscription to one of 2 usergroups after they used vB for free

I currently have 2 usergroups using my vB for free. I plan to begin charging the ONE with more permissions a subscription fee at a future date. The other usergroup needs to remain free. How do I do this?

After a discussion, I figure one way to demand the one usergroup pay is to create another, 3rd group with a necessary subscription, and concurrently mess up the former usergroup's permissions so bad that they will be forced to upgrade. And will there be any problems with them loosing their profile history, posts, and contacts?

Thanks

Kind of hard to follow that, but the way I would do this is set the appropriate permissions as you want then per usergroup, then setup a subscription with the appropriate settings to move one or more usergroups to another.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

So you are sating it can be done? Sorry if it was unclear. What are those "appropriate settings to move one or more usergroups to another."? I'm a little confused as well.

Let me reiterate.. I have 2 usergroups. Both are free for now. But at some point, I want to forcibly charge one of the two groups a subscription. What is the easiest way to do this?

Comment

Change the usergroup permissions for each of those groups are you want then, Then create a subscription that is accessible by the restricted group which they can purchase and be moved to the other group.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chet View Post
          Let me reiterate.. I have 2 usergroups. Both are free for now. But at some point, I want to forcibly charge one of the two groups a subscription. What is the easiest way to do this?
          I think I understand what you're trying to do, here's how I'd do it.
          • Create a new usergroup with the correct permissions.
          • Create a new subscription with the members being switched to the newly created usergroup after payment.

If you truly want to require them to have to pay or not be able to use the forum (I don't recommend this as it'll probably piss a lot of members off):
          • Setup a notice that only the old usergroup can see and let them know that they have to "upgrade" before they can use the forum again.
          • Edit the old usergroup and remove their posting ability and also set the "Can View Thread Content" to no. (This will make it so that they can't view or post any posts/replies)

Edit: A better option would probably be to use the Additional Usergroups option. So you basically have everyone in the same primary group and then setup an additional/secondary group for your pay features.

Comment

good stuff guys, thanks for the help. The notice is already on my site. and its just $1 per month, lol I think we are all on the same page but if there are other suggestions Im open

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X