Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RSS feed in an article or in a static page, is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] RSS feed in an article or in a static page, is it possible?

Sorry if this has been discussed already but I haven't really had much experience using vb4 or cms. I am still using 3.8.6 on my site but I am trying to help out a friend who is using vb4 suite.

Anyway my question is about including rss feed as primary content of some article in CMS or including it in static page.
    For example I'd like to create a page or an article with music news fetched from rss feed. And hopefully it will fetch the new content whenever it is available on that feed.
    As far as I could figure out I could only add a rss feed widget to the layout and assign it to some section but that doesn't really achieve what I'd like to do.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Forgot to mention that rss feed widget seems to only fetch title and the link from rss feed but not description part. Hope there is a workaround for that as well.

Comment

What have you done exactly?
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        What have you done exactly?
        I've just created new widget (rss feed) and entered an url of some rss feed. Then created new layout with that rss feed widget showing and attached it to a section.

Comment

And what is that RSS feed?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

This feed:
            Code:
            http://rss.ent.yahoo.com/movies/boxoffice.xml
            When I open it in my browser it shows a description of each movie under the title.
            But in a widget it shows just titles of the movies.
            I didn't try any other feeds though, perhaps it is just something to do with this one.

But is there anyway to use them in an article or a static page. It would be nice way to add some extra content which would automatically update.

Comment

Thanks. I have tested this with your feed ans several others and have confirmed that this is the way it works.

There is no function to use RSS feeds in an article or static page. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X