Benefits of Facebook Connect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Benefits of Facebook Connect?

Can someone give me a rundown of the benefit to offering facebook connect as an option? What exactly does it do? Simply make the registration process easier? Can it be exploited for spam registrations?

Has anyone used it and seen a drastic increase on new user registrations?

Thanks in advance.
    Chuck
    SiriusBuzz.com

No one knows? No one has seen any change in new user registrations?
    Chuck
    SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

I haven't noticed anything. lol.
      Jason Craig – Partner
      Wet Coast Sports LTD
      Fishing Reviews TVBC Fishing ReportsFly Fish BCFly Tying Bug

Comment

Not very encouraging!

Hopefully someone else will chime in with better results.
        Chuck
        SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

Facebook on forums generates some really mixed results. One of the main choking points for some boards is anonymity. People don't want their 'RL' identity connected with a forum, that maybe they don't want their friends or family to see. (liking something on accident or publishing a comment that's not meant to be seen by friends..) Therefore, we're not seeing a large utilization of the facebook connect feature, at least for the majority of boards I'm in direct management of. I personally only use the facebook connect actively on one forum only.
          To be updated...

Comment

So, if you sign up with facebook connect, all your posts go into your regular facebook feed as well as the forum? That seems hardly optimal.

Is there any downside to using it? Is anything lost from a user signing up with facebook connect rather than through the normal registration form? If not, it seems to make sense to offer it as an option.
            Chuck
            SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

Originally posted by chaz7979 View Post
              So, if you sign up with facebook connect, all your posts go into your regular facebook feed as well as the forum? That seems hardly optimal.
              Nah, it doesn't work like that. If you press the "Like" button on threads, that will show up on your Facebook wall. You can also publish your posts & comments if you check the box to allow it do so. The problem is, people do it on accident and don't realize what they are doing until they've already clicked through the boxes. I've gotten some scathing complaints from people that did this and I only could respond with "Pay closer attention to what you are doing OR disable Facebook connect."

Originally posted by chaz7979
              Is there any downside to using it? Is anything lost from a user signing up with facebook connect rather than through the normal registration form? If not, it seems to make sense to offer it as an option.
              Any person coming to a forum with Facebook connect enabled has two choices: 1) click the register button or 2) click facebook connect. Both have the same results in creating a user, just the authentication is used a little differently. The idea of Facebook connect is to make it easier to move from site to site that requires a login. It follows the same principles of OpenID except that Facebook is more tightly wound into your personal social networks.
              To be updated...

Comment

Thanks for the insight.

Seems to me that there is no downside to offering this. If anything, you might be giving someone who wouldn't normally take the time to fill out the reg a quick way to do so.
                Chuck
                SiriusBuzz.com

Comment