No announcement yet.

Mass Delete user - Filter Spam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Mass Delete user - Filter Spam?

Hello all,

I have a few questions that I could use your help with.

1. My site is fairly new and continually gets about 10-20 spam sign ups from individuals. They are not bots. I have all user confirm their registration via email, but still get a ton of spam sign ups. Is there anything I could do to reduce the amount of spam sign ups? One thing I noticed was that they do not correctly fill out my custom questions. For example, many of them use their username as their job position. Additionally, many of them out in "test" in another custom field. Maybe there is a way to edit those fields or filter out user based on those fields??

2. Is there a way to mass delete or ban users? From what I can tell the systems only option is to go one by one. Is there a better way??

Thanks for your insight and help

1. Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

2.There is no mas option for either of those. You will need to do them one at a time.

Please see this thread for things you can do to fight spam: How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      Please see this thread for things you can do to fight spam: How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots
      Thanks for the link Steve. There were a number of things on there that I think will help tremendously.

Comment

There is something else people might want to try. For months people have been asking for a way to delete multiple banned users through the Search for Users function but, sadly, no feature for this has been added yet. At least not in that section. Most people are, by now, aware of the Prune/Move Users function, but forcing the software to choose the right users to delete can be tricky. First you need to ban all the bots/users you want to get rid of, which are relocated to a "Banned Users" area. Once you've done this, however, set the "join date" for any day in the future and it should find a list of all your spambots...

Then you simply need to check to make sure you're not removing actual users, friends (or yourself!), and just delete all the usernames that are checked. BE CAREFUL using this feature though unless you only normally have a small community of users and you are already familiar with their posts.
        Hyncharas - AKA Simon Spencer
        Clan Draconus Lupus - Kicking ass for over a decade (8yr Veteran)
        SG-VirtualSeries.com (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)

Comment

I would love a way to ban all users that have a signature, zero posts, and have been a member longer than 30 days. Is there anything like that in the app?
          Last edited by chaz7979; Tue 22 Feb '11, 3:43pm.
          Chuck
          SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

You can search for users with 0 pasts and after a specific registration date, but there is no setting to also add signatures to the search list.

Admin CP -> Users -> Prune / Move Users

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I know about the prune, I would like the ability to check signatures AND setup this command as a job to keep the boards clean. It would be awesomely powerful to define a set of criteria and run it as a daily cron job. There is too much manual intervention needed to constantly ban and delete. This should be automated!
              Chuck
              SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

As I said that is no function for that. Please feel free to make a 'New Feature' request here:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa

We take all suggestions into account when determining the feature set for new versions but unfortunately we cannot confirm whether a particular feature will be included in a version.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X