Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mccollin
    replied
    You are probably going to want to plot it over time and try to find a pattern. Maybe the cron jobs are causing a problem. I've done no tuning at all with vB4 and its been running great for me.

Leave a comment:

• Halfhidden
    replied
    No.. no back ups running (they are schedules to run at 3am)

Leave a comment:

• mccollin
    replied
    Are you running backups when you experience the problem?

Leave a comment:

• Halfhidden
    replied
    @ramsesx I haven't a problem with the criticism, its always welcome. Just pointing out a few facts. I'm also a bit wound up with this issue. I set up a monitoring site to warn me if the hppt (port 80) fails. I've done this out of frustration as the server logs say everything is fine... yet the site spikes. I've only just set this up a few seconds ago and have already got email reports that http was down for the server but only for a few seconds.
    Now I'm finally making sense of it all... This could well be a server issue after all.
    Thanks for your input... I do appreciate it. I'm aware that the 404 errors are a pain, but I'm at the mercy of Photopost and they are in no hurry to help anyone these days

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    Ok, it wasn't my intention to criticize you, if your existing members are fine with it that's most important. And sure I can understand that you need to finance your efforts and costs.
    I just visited your site again and it's loading really quick.
    I think it's happening on peak times when your site is most active on a day as I understand you right. And you have a lot of addons (shoutbox, gallery, classifieds, arcade etc.).
    So I would believe that your site can not handle so many requests on peak times and is slowing down.

Leave a comment:

• Halfhidden
    replied
    Hi Ramsesx. Our site is a non profit organisation and this is our only source of income. That is why we have a donate button and google ads. I wasn't talking about site content and visitors sign up. I was talking specifically about the site being very slow at times and existing members becoming frustrated and leaving the site because it becomes unusable.
    I have operated the shoutbox for about 12 months and haven't experienced this problem until this month. Yet I agree that it will have a load bearing on the site... I'm not sure that this is the real culprit in this case.
    The OOOps error 404 is because of some bad scripting by Photopost. If you try to access any of the forum specific scripts from within the gallery you get this error. I have complained to Photopost and after 8 weeks they said it was because VBulletin keep changing the code and said that they would fix it in the next release of vbgallery. Everything works as it should if you are in the forum or root... it is a specific problem with Photopost...

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    Your site loads quick. Maybe you are loosing members because you don't care too much for your site. For example your classifieds gives me an big ooops, on a first view this looks like your site is hacked (is not, I know. Your Home button is not on first place it's near the end.
    Big google ads on top and footer and additional a donation request. Siteinfo and pagerank button on footer.
    That's only what I found in a one minute quick view over your site and doesn't attract me to stay.
    Maybe your shoutbox is slowing down your site on heavy usage.

Leave a comment:

• Halfhidden
    replied
    Hell am I dumb... sorry of course http://picturepenzance.co.uk The problems isn't constant. It seems to happen evenings and for 10 mins at a time. after that it's ok for a while

Leave a comment:

• IBxAnders
    replied
    Can you give us something more to go on? Site URL maybe?

Leave a comment:

• Halfhidden
    started a topic [Forum] Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Hi guys... I've been through the optimising suggestions that was written up on vb.org so that the vbulletin is running at it's best... but my vbulletin is so slow I'm loosing members.
    Anyone have any idea, clues that can help. can the database be bloated?
    I have a VPS and the server resources show that i'm barely using it. Memory use at 2%, I nodes @ 2% out of 100 and so on.
    I'm on Apache server and have root access.
    It takes on average 4 to 8 seconds to load a page or return to a page. I have a fast 16mb internet access and other sites load fast.
    Any help fully appreciated.
    Regards,
    Steff