No announcement yet.

Restricting use of special characters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Restricting use of special characters?

How can I restrict the use of special characters in usernams when people register?

like this: ยขняιѕтιαи

In settings go to "User Registration Options" and scroll to the Username Regular Expression option. Click on the "help" icon and there are several regular expressions you can copy into the box to restrict usernames to regular characters.

Comment

I just want to chime in here because searching for help on regular expressions (this forum and Google) reveals that very, very few responses ever provide practical help the questioner or a direct answer. The php guide does not help the average user. It is written for programmers and is very difficult to decipher for a non-programmer. It puzzles me why a direct answer isn't given when someone asks for help. If the guide were simple and straightforward I could understand, but it isn't ... it's programming language in a table without explanation suitable for a non-programmer to understand.
      Last edited by EricD; Wed 2 Mar '11, 11:55am.

Comment

Here you go - this will get you pretty close:

^[a-zA-Z0-9_\[email protected] ]+$
        anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
        Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
        Please be my friend!
        http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
        vBulletin Performance Articles:
        Click here to read

Comment

Originally posted by EricD View Post
          I just want to chime in here because searching for help on regular expressions (this forum and Google) reveals that very, very few responses ever provide practical help the questioner or a direct answer. The php guide does not help the average user. It is written for programmers and is very difficult to decipher for a non-programmer. It puzzles me why a direct answer isn't given when someone asks for help. If the guide were simple and straightforward I could understand, but it isn't ... it's programming language in a table without explanation suitable for a non-programmer to understand.
          Several regular expressions are included right in the vBulletin help system, not made for programmers, but made for anyone browsing the admin cp who wants more help on a particular topic. They need only copy and paste one over.

How much better an answer do you want?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X