Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home page column 3 not showing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [CMS] Home page column 3 not showing

    Hi,

    I have just upgraded my forums to have the full CMS

    On my test forum, I had installed with sample data which was fine (as I wanted to see how stuff works etc).

    Now, on my live site, I did not install sample data.

    I have created a new three column grid (25%, 50%, 25%) and then created a layout based on that grid. I have my sections widget on the left, main content middle, and recent threads on the right.

    I then went and changed my homepage to use the newly created layout. After a refresh, columns 1 and 2 appeared, but nothing in column 3.

    I know I must be missing something obvious, but I can't spot it.

    Any help appreciated

  • #2
    As per your support ticket, this is a problem with your custom style. The original vB style and templates work fine.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

    Steve Machol Photography


    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


    Comment


    • #3
      Please provide the url and i will take a look...

      You can try clicking on the pencil icon next to the "Home" (section title thingeee) and check to see if the layout is using the layout that you wish to use.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        As per your support ticket, this is a problem with your custom style. The original vB style and templates work fine.
        Like I mentioned, I have the exact same skin on my test forum (hosted on the same web space) that does work properly.

        I have even just deleted the style off my live site and re-imported it and it does not show the 3 columns, so I know its no template edits or stylevar changes ive made that have stopped it working.

        I understand that if the default skin works, then its easy for vb to wash their hands of it, but there is something else going on here.

        I have tried disabling the plugin/hook system just incase, and it still does not work. I have raised a ticket with the skin creator, but as it works on the test site, he will probably say the same thing as you guys.

        Comment


        • #5
          Look at this image... http://i51.tinypic.com/oppc9l.png

          See the blue arrows... hover your mouse over there.. and click the pencil icon when that pops up.. then check to see if the Layout settings to see if the are using the one you want....

          Also you can try clearing your CMS cache... you can do that from ADMINCP/vBulletin CMS/ CLEAR CMS CACHE

          Good luck,

          Regards, Darren

          Comment


          • #6
            How about a link and make sure you have the default style enabled for us to pick, as well as your style. There could be something else different between your test site and live site that you just aren't noticing.

            Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

            W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by darren1981 View Post
              Look at this image... http://i51.tinypic.com/oppc9l.png

              See the blue arrows... hover your mouse over there.. and click the pencil icon when that pops up.. then check to see if the Layout settings to see if the are using the one you want....

              Also you can try clearing your CMS cache... you can do that from ADMINCP/vBulletin CMS/ CLEAR CMS CACHE

              Good luck,

              Regards, Darren

              I tried all of that - have tried setting the skin to use in the section editor to inherit, board default, specific skin etc - same result. Also cleared cache, no change there either. Thanks for efforts though


              Originally posted by Lynne View Post
              How about a link and make sure you have the default style enabled for us to pick, as well as your style. There could be something else different between your test site and live site that you just aren't noticing.
              Here is live site - section style is set to inherit with 2 styles to choose from:
              http://www.theoldgitsarmy.com/forums/content.php

              As you can see, the default skin renders 3 columns, eloquent does not.


              Here is test site - same section settings as above - 2 styles to choose from - both work in 3 colums mode:
              http://www.theoldgitsarmy.com/portal...um/content.php

              The custom skin just has a different name but it is the exact same skin as Eloquent from the live site. The test site was installed with the default CMS data.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CakeOrDeath View Post
                Like I mentioned, I have the exact same skin on my test forum (hosted on the same web space) that does work properly.
                And as I ponted out and showed this does not happen with the default vB style I created for you. You did see that and the screen pic I provided, right?
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                Steve Machol Photography


                Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                Comment


                • #9
                  I just looked at your site - it is a style issue. You have the template vbcms_grid_2 edited. It isn't default. That is your problem. A style issue, as Steve originally said.

                  (Just take a look at the template - it only has 2 columns in it!)

                  Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

                  W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                    I just looked at your site - it is a style issue. You have the template vbcms_grid_2 edited. It isn't default. That is your problem. A style issue, as Steve originally said.

                    (Just take a look at the template - it only has 2 columns in it!)
                    So how can the test site be working? If I had installed the CMS default data when I performed the upgrade on the live site, would this most likely be working?

                    Because I did not, perhaps I have created the grids wrong?

                    Im sure this is frustrating for you guys as well as me.

                    Is it possible to add the default CMS data to a live site?
                    Last edited by CakeOrDeath; Sun 16 Jan '11, 9:29am.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You cannot add the default data now.

                      Have you tried just clicking Revert on the grid template? (Actually, do it on all the edited grid templates - why are they edited?)

                      Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

                      W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                        You have the template vbcms_grid_2 edited. It isn't default
                        Can you give a bit more info on what that means please? I did either edit or delete some of the default grids that were present. Was that bad? If so, how can I restore the default grids you get upon installing the CMS (without sample data)?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                          You cannot add the default data now.

                          Have you tried just clicking Revert on the grid template? (Actually, do it on all the edited grid templates - why are they edited?)
                          Where do I find the grid templates to revert? Sorry for being thick Lynne.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm not sure exactly what you mean. It looks like you imported a style that came with some custom grids. You can just click Revert on them to revert them to default. If the template is showing in orange, it is inheriting from a modified template. If it shows in red, then that *is* the modified template. If you select that template and click Revert, it will go back to the default vBulletin template.

                            Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

                            W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                              I'm not sure exactly what you mean. It looks like you imported a style that came with some custom grids. You can just click Revert on them to revert them to default. If the template is showing in orange, it is inheriting from a modified template. If it shows in red, then that *is* the modified template. If you select that template and click Revert, it will go back to the default vBulletin template.
                              Hi Lynne - that is really, really odd. I just looked at the grid templates on my test forum, and there are no edits at all, but on my live board there were lots of grid template changes, so I have reverted them all and nuked what little data/grids/layouts I had created and have started again.

                              The skin now appears to be rendering the 3 columns ok.

                              It looks like I am good to go from here on in, but it is a mystery with those grid template edits came from.

                              Thanks for putting up with my strange problem.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X