Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Need some answers...

Q: What is consider a high server load?

I'm currently seeing spikes of 70-90 in server load lasting 30-60 minutes. But later on sliding back to 5-10...

Q: How offen do I need to optimize my MYSQL databases? (800 members - 50 users/per day)

My provider keeps telling me my MySQL database need to optimized every I call them... I just did it like a few day ago... What's consider to be a high overhead?
    Mopar1973Man.Com Forum and Article Database Powered By vBulletin 4.2.0 & Joomla 2.5.11 -~- Michael Nelson -> SoonTM to be Invision Power Board Powered
    Posted With Ubuntu Linux 12.04.2

Sounds like you have a shared hosting account where they sell you a plan really cheap and then kick out anyone that actually tries to use what they bought. I'd start looking for another host. In the early days before I was on dedicated servers, every time my forums had any success they'd basically pull the plug and kick me off. That's pretty disruptive for forum growth. You will probably have to pay more for a real host. I can tell you that I've been running vBulletin for about 7 or 8 years, have had thousands of users on at one time, and I've never "optimized my MySQL databases".
    Mikey
    PDAPhoneHome ... Get Converged! / NortheastFoto ... Get Imaged!

Comment

Yeah its a shared hosting but I've don't got the funds to move to anything bigger right now... But I'd like some information to combat the tech and his BS.

So you saying there is no big issue about optimizing the MySQL databases? But still what would be consider a high over head number?

Click image for larger version

Name:	server load.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	3681081
      Mopar1973Man.Com Forum and Article Database Powered By vBulletin 4.2.0 & Joomla 2.5.11 -~- Michael Nelson -> SoonTM to be Invision Power Board Powered

Comment

There are shared hosts and there are shared hosts. Some of them will put 1,000 people on one server. The reason being that 99% of people that buy $5/month hosting plans never have hardly any traffic, and so they spend 99% of the time idle or with 1 or 2 people browsing static pages. If they get a person or two running a forum, then it hoses up their model. I have a hosting company, and I don't do it that way... but I'm just doing it to help cover my server costs and I've got about 20 people on the server instead of a thousand. The TOC you agreed to I'm sure gives them the ability to boot you if you consume too much resources, even if you are well within the parameters of the plan they sold you. There is no logic or information that will help you combat them. Quite simply, because you are paying them peanuts, they could care less what you say. If you continue to use more resources than they want you to, they will boot you. It is much better for you to plan for that than to just have it happen without warning. I've been there, and its not fun to go to your forum and find your account suspended. In a couple of cases I had a lot of trouble getting my recent data off the server after they did this, and in one case they had control of my domain name which further complicated it. My advice is find a host that will be OK with you running a forum and consuming resources.

Those server averages you are showing there are virtually meaningless without knowing more about the server and your account. They are probably the total server loads for everyone on the box, which may be 1,000 sites or more. And if the server has multi-core processors or multiple CPUs, then the 100% point could vary. A quad core single CPU processor is at 100% CPU usage when those numbers hit 4.. And there is no way that 15 users would generate those numbers. I just checked my server and there are over 1,000 users online and my server load is at 0.81. You are looking at a grossly overloaded server and they are probably looking at the accounts using the most resources and booting them. Look for another host.
        Mikey

Comment

I had this a while back on a shared server with SLA figures going into the nineties.
          I phoned 'em up and got them to shift me to a quieter server (26 sites if I recall correctly) as opposed to just under a thousand.
          The whole process took less than 24 hours to complete, from phone call to them backing it up by a ticketed conversation.

Comment

45? 60? Oh my..... I like my server load to be below 2 (they are dual core, I believe). If I were on shared hosting, I think I would want to have it below 5.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

trilogy, if they are telling him that he has too much loading when he has a dozen people on his site, then its unlikely they are going to move him to a less busy server. This is a host that I'd be moving away from... short and simple.
              Mikey

Comment

Now how about the MySQL optimizing??? What is considered too much overhead???

Just hearing from you Guys & Gals is exactly what I need...

Comment

I don't think you are hearing what we are saying. There is no optimizing that needs to be done here. The load from your forum is a rounding error of the load on that server. There are probably 1000 sites besides yours contributing to that server load and nothing you do with your forum is going to cause it to come down. You need to find a host that doesn't overload their shared servers. If they are asking YOU to do anything, they are either morons or they only want customers that have static pages with no traffic so they can generate several thousand dollars profit each month from each server. When I was getting booted off shared hosting, I at least had hundreds of concurrent forum users.
                  Mikey

Comment

Originally posted by mccollin View Post
                    I don't think you are hearing what we are saying. There is no optimizing that needs to be done here. The load from your forum is a rounding error of the load on that server. There are probably 1000 sites besides yours contributing to that server load and nothing you do with your forum is going to cause it to come down. You need to find a host that doesn't overload their shared servers. If they are asking YOU to do anything, they are either morons or they only want customers that have static pages with no traffic so they can generate several thousand dollars profit each month from each server. When I was getting booted off shared hosting, I at least had hundreds of concurrent forum users.
                    This is what we had to do. I was getting server load up in the 300's some times with just 600 people on the forum. With our new dedicated server we had 1200 on at one time with server load of 8 and that was just a few minutes, then it came down to 3. When we were on the shared server I tried everything that was suggested to drop server load and nothing worked. So don't bother trying, nothing will work. I spent a lot of hours trying to fix it. Since the dedicated server was put in place I have not had any issues.

Not sure if you can get any income off your sites but getting a dedicated server is the way to go.

Comment

I don't know that he needs to go to a dedicated server for a dozen concurrent users. He just needs a host that doesn't oversell the servers and get into this situation. There are also VPSs now that are a good step in between a shared host plan and a dedicated server.
                      Last edited by mccollin; Thu 13 Jan '11, 12:12pm.
                      Mikey

Comment

Oh I'm back at it again... (Grrr...)

Comment

Originally posted by mccollin View Post
                          I understand that but I need to know what is considered a high number for overhead on the database? I understand the load issues but I need a answer for that question to combat my provider with some knowledge not guessin'

Comment

I'm not sure I understand your question. The amount of users you have should not be causing any problems. The load numbers you posted are totally meaningless because they are for the whole server, not just your account. So I'm not sure what a "high number for overhead" would be. Maybe you should post what your hosting plan includes.
                            Mikey

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X