Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Da_Vinci
    replied
    I hear what you're both saying, I had some speed issues with my forum and just couldn't pin point it, so I basically stripped it back to default removing any left over tables and rogue files from my Database and FTP, then I thought, "well while I'm back to an out of the box install I might as well upgrade, what can possibly go wrong"

It was only as I slowly reinstalled my mods trying to find what caused the speed issue in the first place, that I realised one particularly important mod no longer worked, there are also one or two others that don't work, but I can live without those.

The irritating thing is the mod is a free one off VB.org but the coder wants paying to update the mod, something which I was prepared to do for the sake of getting it working again, but it turns out he lives in a country that Paypal won't deal with and I've no idea where theirs a Western Union outlet anywhere near me, I tried Google but it doesn't bring anything up in my locality.

I could fix the skin myself, but I'm being lazy and seen as I paid for a premium skin which allegedly comes with 12 months of updates, I don't see why I should have to go to the trouble of fixing it.

The even more annoying thing is when the designer updated his site some weeks ago, they updated all there demo skins, yet failed to update the skins they sell, so any new customers who look will see a skin for 4.1.0 but when they download it they'll be getting a 4.0.6 skin. So if anybody wants to buy a skin don't go to vb4styles.com as they no longer respond to there contact mails, ticket system, PM's or threads.

Rant over lol, thanks for the replies chaps.
    Last edited by Da_Vinci; Wed 12 Jan '11, 12:01pm.

Leave a comment:

• borbole
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    To be honest the chances of any ordinary users being able to accomplish that without wrecking it are practically zero. It might as well be impossible. Because if someone was that skilled with databases they'd probably also be able to cponvert all their vb3 mods with ease so it wouldn't be an issue in the first place.
    I agree completly. That is why I said, "you should really know what you are doing.". This is something that the average admin shouldn''t try on his/her own. At least without making a thorough backup of the db first.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by borbole View Post
    Yes, you can downgrade back to that previous version by altering the database tables undoing the changes in reverse but that is a major pita. it will take lots of time and patience and above all, you should really know what you are doing.
    To be honest the chances of any ordinary users being able to accomplish that without wrecking it are practically zero. It might as well be impossible. Because if someone was that skilled with databases they'd probably also be able to cponvert all their vb3 mods with ease so it wouldn't be an issue in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• borbole
    replied
    Yes, you can downgrade back to that previous version by altering the database tables undoing the changes in reverse but that is a major pita. it will take lots of time and patience and above all, you should really know what you are doing.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    No, unless you restore your backup you are stuck where you are.

*Always* test any upgrade on a test site first, this was always true on 3.x as well. If you just rush in and apply an upgrade untested on a modified board, you're asking for trouble.

Leave a comment:

• Da_Vinci
    started a topic [Forum] Downgrade to an earlier version of VB4

Downgrade to an earlier version of VB4

Hi, I've recently upgraded from 4.0.6 to 4.1.1 PL2 which has proved to be disastrous.

Essential plugins & premium skins have stopped working correctly due to the upgrade, so my question is, without restoring a pre upgrade backup that is now over a week old is there a way to downgrade my site back to 4.0.6?

Another question is, why the massive changes? We never used to experience these problems when upgrading VB3.X?

Also instead of concentrating on changing things, why not concentrate on fixing existing functionality, such as getting a working VB4 to VB4 importer. Obviously if we had a working importer, downgrading to an earlier version wouldn't be a problem.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...o-VB4-importer

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/IMPX-377