Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would upgrading to 4 perform better than 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Would upgrading to 4 perform better than 3?

I am having a few load issues with my VB3 powered forum so was wondering.... would an upgrade to the latest 4.0 version, along with all the tweaks by digitalpoint, perform better than my V3 forum? I ask before I go this route because it is a one way trip, once I go with 4.x I can't go back.....

Pretty general question I know but I was just wanting to either count it out as an option or give me another path to go down.

Cheers
    Bruce
    vBulletin Owner since 2002!

no-one?

Comment

I think the general consensus will be that vB4 is a bit more resource hungry than vb3.

That said, since my own upgrade from 3.8.6 to 4.0.8 I am finding it faster. Not sure about resources, I haven't checked, but it's running faster.

I did most of DP's optimisations, but also you will need to do the search (getdaily/getnew) fixes in the relevant diff file HERE. Otherwise your getdaily/getnew searches (Today's Posts/New Posts) will have over 100 queries!
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

You are supposed to wait 24 hours before bumping a post .

You can always backup and restore the software before you did the upgrade. Honestly everyone should test. Do you have a style that is compatible with vBulletin 4? (vBulletin 3 styles are not compatible with vBulletin 4). Are your hacks and addons compatible with vB4?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
          I think the general consensus will be that vB4 is a bit more resource hungry than vb3.

That said, since my own upgrade from 3.8.6 to 4.0.8 I am finding it faster. Not sure about resources, I haven't checked, but it's running faster.

I did most of DP's optimisations, but also you will need to do the search (getdaily/getnew) fixes in the relevant diff file HERE. Otherwise your getdaily/getnew searches (Today's Posts/New Posts) will have over 100 queries!
          Thanks Mark, that is th sort of answer I was hoping for but I am still loathe to do it. I have tuned MySQL a little and am installing a better cache system to see if I can settle it down....

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
          You are supposed to wait 24 hours before bumping a post .

You can always backup and restore the software before you did the upgrade. Honestly everyone should test. Do you have a style that is compatible with vBulletin 4? (vBulletin 3 styles are not compatible with vBulletin 4). Are your hacks and addons compatible with vB4?
          Oops, sorry Zachary - It felt like 24 hours had already passed Before I actually went off to sleep I considered the whole backup/restore path but any posts between the two would be lost. I do have a new style for my 4.x install but was going with stock out-of-the box to start with, same with most of the addons. I have checked and 95% of the addons I have are compatible. I have actually owned 4.x Suite for a little while but haven't had the guts to go and upgrade...

Cheers
          Bruce

Comment

Good luck with your upgrade, if it already happed and you're running into problems let us know and we can do our best to help

Comment

Originally posted by speedway View Post
              Thanks Mark, that is th sort of answer I was hoping for but I am still loathe to do it. I have tuned MySQL a little and am installing a better cache system to see if I can settle it down....

Oops, sorry Zachary - It felt like 24 hours had already passed Before I actually went off to sleep I considered the whole backup/restore path but any posts between the two would be lost. I do have a new style for my 4.x install but was going with stock out-of-the box to start with, same with most of the addons. I have checked and 95% of the addons I have are compatible. I have actually owned 4.x Suite for a little while but haven't had the guts to go and upgrade...

Cheers
              Bruce
              A test site is the way to go...create a mirror (snapshot) of your current site and upgrade that first. Although it won't have the heavy use of the live site, you should get a good feel for how the server is going to run with it.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                A test site is the way to go...create a mirror (snapshot) of your current site and upgrade that first. Although it won't have the heavy use of the live site, you should get a good feel for how the server is going to run with it.
                Mark, can I ask what sort of back end you are running? Dedicated, VPS, shared? Mem available etc? Just visited your site and it is nice and snappy.....

Comment

Oh dear, the upgrade didn't go well. Copied the whole directory to another one, uploaded and overwrote all the 3.x files with 4x files and started the upgrade. First thing it told me was vbulletin_css wasn't writable, had to change that to 777 (not happy about that one!) then part way through I get "Could not find phrase 'attachpathfailed'." I see that one has been fixed in tracker for 4.1.1 but not mention of WHAT was fixed so I am knackered. Thank goodness I didn't try and update my live site is all I can say..... looks like I will be waiting a little longer before I upgrade to the 4x series......

Comment

The phrase is missing, but you're using the wrong path for your attachments.

Comment

Thanks Zachary.... but the phrase is actually there (checked the DB directly) and I had changed the attachment path both in the datastore table and the settings table. As a hack I changed the permissions on the attachments directory to 777 and it continued..... up to a point where it stopped again and loaded up the server into the 40's. So now I will blow away my 2nd VPS, transfer everything over, get V3 working and THEN retry the V4 upgrade once again....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X