Banning an Email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Banning an Email

I use Q and A to prevent spam bots. However, several seem to still get through per day. They all have a variation on the same email: ***[email protected] I'd like to disallow any email with [email protected] in it without banning live.com completely. If I use the following expression will it work? *[email protected] Will the asterisk do the wild card job in this instance? Thanks.
    Jake Crause
    www.homebuiltairplanes.com

You would not put an asterisk in there, just [email protected] . Did you read the help with that option?

Banned Email Addresses

Email address ban lists: You may ban any email addresses from registering and posting. Type in the complete email address ([email protected]), or use a partial email address (as in @example.com).

Note that partial email addresses are matched from the end of the address unless you enable 'Aggressive Email Banning' below. Therefore if you ban @example.com you will ban [email protected], but if you ban @example that user will not be banned. If you enable 'Aggressive Email Banning', [email protected] would be banned by @example.

If the email address of a user attempting to register or change their email address matches any of the addresses you specify here will see a no-permission error. For example, if you have banned 'example.com' then a user attempting to use '[email protected]' will be rejected.

Put a space between each email address or email address fragment.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Yes of course I did. To me, the way it reads it is talking about just the @live dot come. I wanted to make sure that if I disallowed [email protected] it would not just disallow that email but also [email protected]. The help on that section is unclear. Thank you for the help.
      Jake Crause

Comment

Well, I have [email protected] saved in the banned email addresses. I then received a registration with an email address of [email protected]. So, I turned on aggressive email banning because I figured I still wasn't understanding exactly how it works. Today I had a user with an email address of [email protected] sign up. What am I doing wrong? Thanks guys.
        Jake Crause

Comment

I just tested this out and confirmed the problem. Please report this in the vB4 Bug Tracker here:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X