Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange login/logout issue: page refresh required before they work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Answered] Strange login/logout issue: page refresh required before they work.

I have a forum installed with a strange login/logout issue. It seems logging in and logging out doesn't "take" right away. I have to refresh the page or visit a forum before I am logged in or logged out.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Log into the forums
    2. Forums acknowledges the login and redirects back to the home page
    3. The login form is still present and the user is not shown in the active member list
    4. Refreshing the page solves this. So does visiting a forum.
    5. Press the logout button
    6. Forums acknowledges the logout
    7. Click on the link to go back to the forum home page
    8. The logout link is still present and I am still in the active member list.
    9. Refresh the page or visit a forum and I am shown as logged out.

No mods have been installed and the code has not been modified n any way (other then styling the forum to match the website).

Do you access your forum from www.domain.com or http://domain.com ? what is the url set in the admincp for the forum url?

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply.

We access the forums using http://www.domain.com/forums. This is the same as the domain we have set as the forum URL.

Comment

What are the cookie settings from Cookies & Http header options in the vBulletin Settings pages?

Comment

Session Timeout: 900
          Path to Save Cookies: /
          Cookie Domain: (blank)
          GZIP HTML Output: Yes
          GZIP Compression Level: 1
          Add Standard HTTP Headers: No
          Add No-Cache HTTP Headers: No
          Remove Redirection Message Pages: Yes
          Disable IE8 Compatibility Mode: No

Comment

That should be fine. No modifications or add-ons at all? What is the URL to your site?
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Definitely no modifications or add ons.

http://www.divorcemyteam.com/forums/

I do have a master .htaccess file that I don't believe is affecting this but you never know. I can post that here if necessary.
              Last edited by stymiee; Fri 3rd Dec '10, 7:03am.

Comment

I would first upgrade to 4.10 to see if you have the same issues. If so, try temporarily removing your .htaccess files, clear your browser cache, then try again.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Looks like mod_expires doesn't necessarily play well with vBulletin. I had to put
                  Code:
                  ExpiresActive Off
                  in a .htaccess file in the forums directory to fix this. But it seems to have worked. The only caveat is users who have visited the forums previously will need to do a hard refresh or wait until the caching period specified by a mod_expires rule expires.

Comment

Originally posted by stymiee View Post
                    Looks like mod_expires doesn't necessarily play well with vBulletin. I had to put
                    Code:
                    ExpiresActive Off
                    in a .htaccess file in the forums directory to fix this. But it seems to have worked. The only caveat is users who have visited the forums previously will need to do a hard refresh or wait until the caching period specified by a mod_expires rule expires.
                    Oh Lord! Thank you!!!

I had the same issue, I tried all possible solutions mentioned at vb.com and nothing worked. 3 days of pain. Finally I solved by adding ExpiresActive Off to my .htaccess ...

I have seen more that 20 posts about the same issue and many of them mention the this issue came after upgrading to 4.1+ ...

It seems a BUG. I ended making 4 fresh installation tests and the problem persisted.

Thank you stymiee !!!!

Comment

I have another variation of this issue happening on Firefox 4 (apparently Chrome, Safari and IE8 work just fine):

1) log into the site (via header login form or regular form)
                      2) log out (via header logout link, for example)
                      3) on the "System Message" page notifying you of all cookies being cleared (login.php?do=logout page) try to login back in again via the header username/password fields.
                      4) the login doesn't take the right credentials.

There is something broken, something that doesn't get loaded on that page sometimes resulting in the UserName and Password onmouseovers on those boxes not hiding onFocus, and the password field itself actually shows the password being typed in instead of a bunch of asterisks...

Or is that just my install of Firefox 4 that's got this issue?

Logged under http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-12446

Comment

Same Exact issue with (vBulletin 3.7.3 Patch Level 1)

Wordpress installed, A name wildcard for dns,

If log-out link clicked user redirected as logged out, but doesn't really log out the user

when log-in user fails, then clicking link to forum page shows logged in. Admincp fails in chrome, firefox allows log in to admin cp

Originally posted by HouseAddict View Post
                        I have another variation of this issue happening on Firefox 4 (apparently Chrome, Safari and IE8 work just fine):

1) log into the site (via header login form or regular form)
                        2) log out (via header logout link, for example)
                        3) on the "System Message" page notifying you of all cookies being cleared (login.php?do=logout page) try to login back in again via the header username/password fields.
                        4) the login doesn't take the right credentials.

There is something broken, something that doesn't get loaded on that page sometimes resulting in the UserName and Password onmouseovers on those boxes not hiding onFocus, and the password field itself actually shows the password being typed in instead of a bunch of asterisks...

Or is that just my install of Firefox 4 that's got this issue?

Logged under http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-12446

Comment

Originally posted by Webcams View Post
                          Wordpress installed, A name wildcard for dns,

If log-out link clicked user redirected as logged out, but doesn't really log out the user

when log-in user fails, then clicking link to forum page shows logged in. Admincp fails in chrome, firefox allows log in to admin cp
                          You should start a new thread in the correct support forum for your version, giving all the details of your problem.
                          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
                          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

ExpiresActive Off
                            Alright! Absolutely epic solution! Thanks a trillion zillion.

Brandon
                            Payday Advance

Comment

Originally posted by stymiee View Post
                              Code:
                              ExpiresActive Off
                              THANK YOU! I spent a whole day tearing out my hair over this and so did our tech support guys. I read a gazillion threads here, on vb.org and the rest of the internet- none of them with answers. Then I found this, used your fix and presto- everything worked again. THANK YOU!

Comment