Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Test Site help needed

HI folks,

Ive followed the guide on setting up a test site, but having a few problems.

When I attempt to change the forum URL, Homepage Url, or path to save cookies, The settings do not save. When clicking save, I get an empty window, see screenshot.

Any ideas ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	3719180
    Follow Chatanplay on Twitter, Youtube and Facebook

Re: Test Site help needed

I just set up my test site the other day.
    Make sure your new directory has write permissions.

Comment

Well, the test directory has same permissions as the live site as far as i can tell.

Also, when i now try an log into the test site, I am constantly being redirected to my live site, so Im unable now to even get pas this hurdle.

An theres me thinking i was doing so well lol.

Any more ideas folks? would really like to get this set up and working so i can have a play without messing up live site.

Comment

Make sure all the settings in config.php relate to your test site, not the live one.

Comment out all the caching options in config.php

Then get into the admincp and change the board URL to the test one.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thanks for replying Mark,

Ive checked config.php and all appears correct there, and caching options appear to be commented out also.

However, i simply cannot log into the test site to make any changes in admincp to point it to testvb directory.
          (It appears to log me in, but returns me back to not being logged in).

Comment

Originally posted by magz View Post
            Thanks for replying Mark,

Ive checked config.php and all appears correct there, and caching options appear to be commented out also.

However, i simply cannot log into the test site to make any changes in admincp to point it to testvb directory.
            (It appears to log me in, but returns me back to not being logged in).
            Find this line in config.php:
            Code:
            $config['Misc']['cookieprefix'] = 'bb';
            Change it to this:
            Code:
            $config['Misc']['cookieprefix'] = 'bbtest';
            Save and re-upload, then clear all cookies from your browser, close the browser, restart the browser, then try logging in.

This gives your test site a different cookie to the live site - often if the test site is on the same domain as the live site you can get problems with cookies otherwise.

Comment

Thanks for your patience,

Ive already tried this, but tried again anyway.

What i now get is a dialog box as in the attached image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	3680790

any other ideas before I pull the plug on this?

Comment

Something simple is fundamentally wrong somewhere, but it's going to need someone to actually get access to your site to find out what's going on. It won't be anything complex, but it's locating what it is.

That error is related to security tokens submissions.

It may be worth trying this in a different browser - eg, if you have IE, try Firefox or Chrome. There is a cookie problem somewhere in all of this.

Comment

Login to phpMyAdmin and check the 'bburl' value in the setting table - if this is set to your Live site, change that to the test one (this is the Forum URL value from AdminCP). If you're still unable to login to AdminCP after changing that you may need to search the 'options' field in the datastore table also and replace the value there too.
                  Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                  -
                  *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                  - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                  - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Thank you trevor, whilst I am not overly comfortable in phpmyadmin, i managed to make the changes you suggested, and I seem to be getting somewhere ( I think ).

im now at the stage that I need to password protect the test forum. Ive followed a guide to creating the .htaccess and .htpasswd files.

Ive put the .htaccess file in the testvb forum root, and placed the .htpasswd file in a folder outside public_html.
                    The path in .htaccess points to the .htpasswd location, ie : /home/USERNAME/FOLDER/.htpasswd

However, I am able to get access to the testvb site, without being asked to enter username and password which is obviously not what i need.

Feels like Ive spent an eternity trying to do what should be pretty straight forward

Comment

I'm not sure that having it above public_html will work to be honest - I think it needs to be no higher up than that.
                      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                      -
                      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                      - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Ive reread the guide on creating a test site, but im still struggling here.

here is where I am at sofar.

Ive made a back up of my live database
                        Ive made a new database with new username/password, and imported my live database into it.
                        Ive made a new folder called testvb and copied all my current sites files into it
                        Ive edited the config.ph making sure it point to the "new" database.
                        Ive made the cookie prefix testvb

after a lot of issues getting logged in, I am now able to log in as a user, and as admin ( phew )
                        Whilst logged in, I was even able to upgrade the testvb site to 4.1 beta..(yey)

However, for the life of me, I cannot get a simple password put in place to protect the test site. When i try and use "password protect Directories" from within cpanel, when i try and log into the site, I get either a blank page, or file not found!

If i disable this option and try and use the combination of .htaccess and .htpasswd, I dont get the dialog box to enter username or password ( despite making sure I have cleared all cookies and history from my browser ). Ive also tried using chrome, IE as well as firefox.

Now When no option is put in place to password protect the site, if I enter http://www.sitename.com/testvb, I just get a blank page, putting http://www.sitename.com/testvb/content, or /forums or /blogs, takes me into the site.

Ive tried disabling vbseo, tried with an without an .htaccess file, all to no avail.

What Am I missing here, its driving me nuts lol

Comment

I'm not sure if what I'm going to tell you has already been covered here, but anyway, this is what I did...

Let's say my database name is vbulletin_dbname
                          • I copied the vbulletin_dbname to/renamed vbulletin_dbnametest
                          • My vBulletin live scripts are in a folder sitename/forum
                          • I created a directory sitename/forumtest
                          • I copied all files from sitename/forum to sitename/forumtest
                          • Opened config.php and made the appropriate changes related to the database and pointers to the forumpath and change cookie prefix
                          • Started sitename/forumtest/admincp/index.php
                          • Go to Options "Site Name / URL / Contact Details" Change to correct URL for "/forumtest"

Doing the above, I have a duplicate of my live site as a test site.

Sorry if this has already been said and I missed it........

Comment

Thanks for your input molieman

The steps you have detail are pretty much what i have done, and as an update, im pretty much "almost" there...

Ive managed to get the password protection working, if some kind would like to check for me.... http://www.chatanplay.com/testvb/index.php

Now, if that works, is that sufficient in order to password protect my test site?
                            Also, will this likewise prevent the test site from being indexed ?

Comment

I can't get in with out login, using UN/PW. If that's what you mean.

Matt O.

Comment