Notification for response message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Notification for response message

Is there any way to set it up so you get a notification when someone replies to your message and or quotes your message?

For example on youtube if someone responds to your message you get a notification for it. Is there a similar feature for vbulletin?

Yes there is. It is in your settings/my settings/my account/general settings

You can also make it a default for new members in the admincp under settings/options/user registration options (default registration options)

Members that have already registered will have to go to settings/my settings/my account/general settings to do that.

Comment

Sorry,
      I misread the OP.

The answer is yes. You have to subscribe to the thread. That's one of the options in the go advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Gav-n-Tn View Post
        Sorry,
        I misread the OP.

The answer is yes. You have to subscribe to the thread. That's one of the options in the go advanced.
        There is no way though to make it a default setting.. So that I can reply to a specific person, and have them know maybe with a notification that I replied to their message?

So for example next time you log in you would see that I replied to your post. However not so that everyone sees this notification. Just the person I replied to would see that they got a reply. So if there were 10 other users who had posted on the thread I could reply to one of them no matter where it was in the thread and they would be notified that they have a new reply. Thus promoting conversation, and making it easier to find and continue your conversation.

Let me know if you understand what I'm asking, or if you know how to implement it.

edit: see if there was this feature here, if you logged in you would see this, and likely be able to come back and respond. However it is very likely you will never see this question and forget about this thread all together.

Comment

Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
            Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
            Can I suggest you do this in the future? Like for vbulletin 5 or whatever is next to come out?

Or is there any way I could pay to have vbulletin do this code change for me?

Comment

You can request someone to do it over at vbulletin.org. You should be able to describe it in two sentences so that your mother can understand what you want. I read your description three times and I still don't know for sure.

Ah, it's a "watch thread" function isn't it? IPB and XF have that.

Comment

Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
                You can request someone to do it over at vbulletin.org. You should be able to describe it in two sentences so that your mother can understand what you want. I read your description three times and I still don't know for sure.

Ah, it's a "watch thread" function isn't it? IPB and XF have that.
                Ok let me take replying to you as an example. And how it would differ from normal replying. (It is exactly how things work on youtube. Go check out youtube for a real life demonstration if you have never been to youtube read what happens).

1. there is a button which allows you to reply to a post. in this case it is yours nakedanvil. I click that button, and it brings up a window like any other message window and I type my message and click submit. Presto the post appears on the thread just as it would normally.
                2. A message is sent to you nakedanvil saying RLWSNOOK responded to your post, click here to read RLWSNOOK's response.
                3. You click there and it takes you to my response.
                4. You actually reply to me because you see I responded to you. And we start a conversation about the topic.

On the forums the way it is. Unless you see my response to you. You very likely will forget about this thread (as other threads will bury it) and never respond again. thus making the reason you posted in the first place utterly pointless.

Take this thread for example. I have responded to each and every person. Of which I highly doubt if one of these users will ever see this thread again. If I am a forum owner, who wants a popular forum with meaningful discussion this is a MAJOR problem.

Comment