Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Site is working, but not perfect (please coment)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikola Bosnjak
    replied
    Trying to fix...

I will try to fix my problem. I moved all articles to main section (112 of them). I want to delete all other sections and create them again, but I can't becouse admincp is saying that there are still some articles in it. Ok, I went to articles list, changed to show me what is in some sections, and yes, they are full of articles, after I moved them to main section. So I moved them again, and delete this section. I had to do this for each section, every time that I cleaned one section, the others becomes full of articles. Finaly, I have only one section and all 112 articles in it.

Now, I created only 3 sections in this main section.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	New1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	3680791

Looks clean, but when I press each pencil to check once again, I get this trash:

Name:	New2.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	3680792

I had only one section, but still new sections that I created are in "Pregled proizvoda po vrsti". This is one of the articles, so how a new section can be placed in article? This does not look good, it look like I will never have my problem fixed. What to do? Delete all articles and start from zerro? No way.

Leave a comment:

• Nikola Bosnjak
    replied
    Problems again!

For some time, our site was working fine, without any change being made. Now, some new articles were published, and this messed up our structure. This breedcrumb looks crazy:

Name:	1.gif
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	3680786

"FCV-620" is an article, so how could there be any section in it? And who put it there? "Radari" was in "Proizvodi", so who changed it's location? "Novosti" was in "Naslovna", so who put it in "Radari"?

Now look at this, at same time in Section Manager I have different mess:

Name:	2.gif
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	3680787

Here, "Radari" is in "Dubinomjeri", and section "FCV-620" does not exist. Actualy, section "Dubinomjeri" should be empty, as it was yesterday, with only a couple of articles in it, but not with subsections like here.

Sure, I can try to fix this manualy, like previous time, but with every change that I make I get new strange situations. Like this, I pressed "edit" to move "Radari" back on it's place, but now it is on it's place!!!???

Name:	3.gif
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	3680788

And on the bottom of the list, I see that at same time it is on wrong place? Check first shaded line, and seccond one. Does this make any sense? I have no clue what will happen if I try to move some sections. Actualy I know, becouse I did this last time I had this situation. Every time I change something, new strange situations apear, and when browsing web site my sections apear to be empty.

Then I have to find all articles in Admin CP and move them back to it's sections. But with articles I will also have similar problem becouse they are also both in right and wrong section, and sometimes they apear in both, and sometimes they are completely gone from user's point of view.

I see no other solution for this problem but to rebuild structure, like moving all articles to main section, delete all sections and make them up again. After that I would have to move all articles to it's new locations, hoping that this problem will not happen again. Oh, yes, I tried with Clear CMS Cash, but no use.

Last edited by Nikola Bosnjak; Thu 25th Nov '10, 5:33am.

Leave a comment:

• Nikola Bosnjak
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynne View Post
    1. When I make a change, like moving something, I usually click Clear CMS Cache afterwards to get it all cleared and then I look at the page. Try doing that to see if it fixes some of the issue.
    Ok, I'll try. Usually I use this, but maybe not too often.

2. I don't understand this about the flag and the language. It sounds like you created a link that forces a languageid on the user?
    Yep, this was the only thing that I could think of so far, as you may see I have two flags and links looks like this:

http://www.hora-elektronik.hr/content.php?49&langid=1
    http://www.hora-elektronik.hr/content.php?langid=2

4. You never posted a link to your site so we could take a look. edit: Whoops, found it.
    Sorry, it does look a bit invisible. So, once again, our site:

www.hora-elektronik.hr

I clicked through the CMS links and it looks consistant and nice.
    Yes, now. Thanks. But notice, for example, this section:
    http://www.hora-elektronik.hr/content.php?328-dealers

This section is in section "Hora Elektronik" same like sections "About us", "Contact" and "Distributorships". But breadcrumb looks different for this section. This problem I had with most of sections, but somehow manage to solve it. With this one I can not. Ok, I will create new one, delete this one and probably solve this problem also. But it is interesting. I actually don't know what I can expect for future, because we plan to develop our site. There will be much more sections in the future.

You see, breadcrumb might not be so important. Maybe I can delete it from template. But let's say I have sections AA and BB located in section A. If breadcrumb "thinks" that section AA is in section BB, section BB has it's own style, AA use Inherit style, then AA will be displayed in wrong style. Or wrong layout, or with wrong links. I know, I've seen this. And you don't expect this when you build site, structure looks perfect from admin cp. Now, if you hide breadcrumb you will never figure out what is happening. You just see that your sections are displaying wrong links.

It might be nice to have some navigation for "Proizvodi"?
    You mean something like "next item"? Yes, I plan do create a lot of interconnections. So far we have only a rough categorization, I have to figure out how to use tags and categories for more advance linking. For example, when you are reading about one device, you might want to see what options it have. So I would need a bunch of articles and respective categories, like "Optional material for Radar XY". For now it is quite simple but our goal was only to make it work. The beauty of CMS is that you just continue to play and your site is growing.

2) The particular caching option under Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options does not control what the browser caches or does not. It is for internal caching and should be enabled. Under Settings -> Options -> Cookie and HTTP Header Options there is an option to tell the system to send a no-cache header to the browser. This will also slow down the experience for the end user and increase bandwidth for your site. If the user doesn't have cookies enabled, it can screw up links.
    Yes, but... First I tried by changing "Add No-Cache HTTP Headers" to ON. This did not help. Then I tried with internal cashing (I did not understand it is a server cashing until now) and this actually did help. Now it is disabled, I have to leave it like this to make it work, I don't care for the speed.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    1) Confusing but there have been reports of sections shifting. Making sure to rebuild the cache after changes helps. Also if you use Memcashe or other opcode caching, flushing this after big changes will also help.

2) The particular caching option under Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options does not control what the browser caches or does not. It is for internal caching and should be enabled. Under Settings -> Options -> Cookie and HTTP Header Options there is an option to tell the system to send a no-cache header to the browser. This will also slow down the experience for the end user and increase bandwidth for your site. If the user doesn't have cookies enabled, it can screw up links.

3) You can receive help with custom programming over at www.vbulletin.org. Adding langid=X to your custom links can help with this but there is no way to assign it to links automatically.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    1. When I make a change, like moving something, I usually click Clear CMS Cache afterwards to get it all cleared and then I look at the page. Try doing that to see if it fixes some of the issue.

2. I don't understand this about the flag and the language. It sounds like you created a link that forces a languageid on the user?

3. There is a Request for Paid Services forum on vbulletin.org where you may request a quote for doing some work for you. Please make sure you take references.

4. You never posted a link to your site so we could take a look. edit: Whoops, found it. I clicked through the CMS links and it looks consistant and nice. It might be nice to have some navigation for "Proizvodi"?

Leave a comment:

• Nikola Bosnjak
    started a topic [CMS] Site is working, but not perfect (please coment)

Site is working, but not perfect (please coment)

Here is our new web site, it is using only CMS part of the package now. Building it I learned a lot, and probably done some mistakes in that process. Now, the site looks and behaves as we want to, but with some troubles that I can't shoot.

1. Structure of sections and subsections is completely messed up. I done this structure from admin cp by simply create sections (A), (B), (C)... In each I created sub sections (AA), (AB), (AC) and so on. In some of the subsections I have further divisions. From admin cp this structure always looks great. After we made a lot of articles, I noticed that breadcrumb does not follow my structure. It should be Homepage->A->AB->ABB->Article, but it goes Homepage->A->AD->ABB->Article and since (AD) section is still not published, my guests does not se a part of the site. I checked this on admin cp and in section editor, yes, ABB is inside of AB, but breadcrumb says it is in AD. I solved this by moving ABB to some different place, save it, and then put it back on it's place. This helped with this section, but my next one changed it's location. Then I had to do this with every one of my sections, and after every change I had to check what is where. All the time I was checking AdminCP, here everything was OK. Finaly, I'm stuck with one of the sections that I can not put on it's place. It goes easily on every place that I tried, let's say it is section ABA. It belongs to section AB. I tried to put it in AA, AC, AD, ABB, ABCD... It goes everywhere and stays there, this works perfect. But if I put it on it's place, in section AB, breadcrumb says it is in A. Every time. Quite a mess.

2. I had to disable site cashing. As you may see, navbar links depend on what content is being used. But our web browsers (tried on several computers and browsers) cashing navbar links and if you click on english flag, you see EN article but links in croatian. If you refresh page, you get correct links. I did not know how to fix it, so I disabled site cashing from admin cp. Now everything is a bit slower, but it is working (I hope).

3. This is not a problem of vBulletin, I need custom programing to force my site to change the language depending on if CR or EN articles are being used. Now this selection is made by CR and EN flag. When you click a flag, language is changed and also you see respective homepage. This is necessary only becouse "read more" link. We have non croatian guests and want to give them this link in EN, and for our local guests we have to have this link in CR. Also, some system messages like "you don't have a permission..." should be in respective language. Current solution with flags is OK, but we must find a better way. Now it is verry possible to read an articles in both languages, for example if you bookmark them, change the language by clicking the flag and then go to bookmarked articles. Or if a Google bring you to us. I want that if you typed english phrases in Google and come to one of our EN articles, that system gives you EN links and EN system messages. I'm thinking how to solve it, maybe to have a 2 copies of content.php? One will have instruction langid=1 and the other langid=2. The other solutions that I concidered so far are some "if-then-else" clauses in the header, that will check what template I'm using, and if template is "eng" then site's language is EN, else is CR. I already need and have different templates for CR and EN part of the site, so this would be exelent solution for me also.

4. Actualy, I don't want to describe any more problems, they are minor, just to explane why site looks like this now and we are using VB CMS. It is a simple copy of our old site that was static html, I had to delete a loooot from our templates to make it look like this. Further development will be in direction of enabling user coments, adding forum and some other things, maybe making it less retro . Please suggest what to improve to make it better, this is the actualy 4. reason why I'm posting here. Do you see any problems that I might overseen?

Thanks!