Login Redirect and other login issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Login Redirect and other login issues

1.How can I choose the page that users go to after they've logged in?

2. How can they go back to the page they were just on after logging on?

3. Why do I need to clear my browser cache just to stay logged off and how do I fix this? I also need to clear browser cache to see the correct navbar sub menu.

4. Is facebook login / logoff exactly the same as the old system? Can I just delete the old register login system or do I need it for some reason?

How can I search for phrases instead of words on vbulletin? Typing 'can't log out' results in the words being searched for independently - obviously I will always want to search for the phrase, and not individual words. Either I'm stupid or vBulletin is extremely counter-intuitive.
    Last edited by paulnicholson; Fri 22 Oct '10, 8:33am.

1. Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

2. That option should be there after they login.

3. Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Please explain.

4. Which 'old system' are you referring to?

5. Currently there is no option to do that. Hopefully this will be addressed in a future version soon that will fix many outstanding search issues like that one.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks for replying. Excuse my imminent language as I vent my pain:

1. Huh? How many vbulletin websites are there? This installation has already taken thirty years off my life.

2. The option isn't there. And they are people - not nerds. Why would they want options? They just need to go where I want them to. An extra landing page is a waste of time. Every page load in Australia (without graphics) takes around 17 seconds (and that's if we don't have to turn the modem off and on again every five minutes). I think the option you might be referring to is when a user logs out. They are taken to the forum when they log on. 'Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you'. I have a suite. The forum is only a minor component of my website. I DEFINITELY dont want users to think of my website as a forum.

3. Firefox does not allow me to log off as admin, even if it's the only tab that's open. I have to clear my browser cache. Also, the navbar submenus remain the same until I reload a page between sections and subsections. But then again, there are about two hundred errors I've encountered in the last two days. (eg. Section names must have more than 2 characters if you create them using CMS front end but can be renamed using ACP.)

4. The facebook connect button allows users to register and log in - new system. Username and password with security checks and life story information - old system. Do I need the old system at all? I still want users to have avatars - preferably thir facebook photo - but all their other info is sent from facebook automatically.

5. Is there secret search language I should be aware of? { + ' - do symbols like these help?

Comment

1. 10s of thousands. I don't have an exact count.

2. As I said that is part of the default vB code. Have you made any modifications? What are they seeing exactly?

3. I use Firefox and don't have this problem. That could be a corrupted browser cache or cookies. You can try emptying both.

4. The FB system uses the vB registration code so there is no way to get rid of the vB registration option and only use FB. However you can disable the FB option if you do not want to use it.

5. Unfortunately not. This is part of the search enhancements that we hope to have back in vB in a future version. I do not have any timing for this however.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

1. I meant help forums for developers. vbulletin.com and vbulletin.org both sound official.

2. When a user logs on, they see 'Redirecting... Thank you for logging in [facebook name]. Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.' Then they end up at the foum main page. A page they should never see. (Not that I have users. It's all me. I first bought this software in March but the installation process nearly gave me a heart attack. My vbulletin site has not been used. I'm setting it up it on a spare domain - then I'm going to copy the files and database to the correct location and edit my license or buy a second license. I abandoned vbulletin, but now I really want it installed. I've been working on this installation 18 hours a day for three days.)

3. The not-being-able-to-log-out problem has gone, but I learned something. Users are only redirected to the forum.php page if they login using the facebook connect button. I use the old login method as admin and when I do that it stays on the same page. I'll check facebook settings...no redirect options. This is a problem. What can I do?

4. So do users need a VB username? I thought Facebook registration was all that was needed. I want to test it but I've already linked my FB account to one of my vb usernames. How do I unlink them?

Comment

1. Those are the only official forums.

2 and 3. Okay. I do not have any official way of changing this. Assuming you have not installed any modifications, then this is the intended action. Changing this requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

4. Yes, every user needs a username. In the case of FB registrations, that name is taken from their FB account.

You can link and unlink to FB in the Edit Connections setting in the user Settings: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/profi...ditconnections

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Looks like I'll need to do some serious modding to combat this terrible programming.

I went to Settings after logging in with my (secondary) facebook account. I clicked Connections. I needed to create a password to disconnect - I had assumed that's what Reset Fields meant (Reset fields just means delete what I've typed - what a useless button to be listed so prominently). I refreshed the page a few times until I arrived back at where I started - there were two or three thank you screens that wouldn't go away. Then I disconnected the facebook account. I thought that would be it - there was no confirmation screen of any kind. So I clicked the Facebook connect button again to start afresh but it said that my name already existed. Would I like to link accounts?, it asked me. So now I'm trying to find out how to delete my account, but see no way to do it whatsoever. As well as that, I can't upload an attachment - I wanted to make an avatar. But now there is an option for Editing a profile with a clickable avatar shadow image that does nothing, an edit profile picture page and an edit avatar page. WTF?? ''Invalid file type'' if I try to upload a 90x90 3Kb jpg image. Need help.

Comment

Are you having those Facebook Connect problem on our forums here? Please see the link I provided.

As for the upload issue, that's a different matter and really should be in a different thread so as to not confuse things. Again I ask you to try uploading an Avatar here to see if you have the same problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

By the way, what do I click to see all of my posts on this website? Is there a button when I'm logged in? I don't see it. 'New Posts' seems irrelevant. So do all the other options.

Comment

User Settings, then 'Find All Posts'.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Are you having those Facebook Connect problem on our forums here?
                      Actually, on this website (vbulletin.com), logging in allows me to stay on the same page. I still don't know how to delete my user account (the one that was created by my facebook connect registration automatically and sticks to my site like a sticky useless shadow) so I can't experiment properly, but it seems that as soon as the facebook connect button is pressed, no matter what happens, the FORUM category or section or whatever you call it is highlighted. And the address bar reads 'register.php' so I don't know why that's happening. And there's a whole messy password replacement / reconnect with a username / fill out this massive form if you want to start a new account page thing happening. I know for sure that if these issues aren't fixed, my competitors will be rubbing their hands together. It's really, really shocking. I have freshly installed 4.0.7, then used impex, then uploaded a useless folder containing raw imagemagick files, then upgraded to 4.0.8. I haven't modded the site, so this is straight out of the box pretty much. Oh, there was a 'remember me check box' alteration I made to the header file. I wouldn't know how to find that again.

Comment

Can I just pay someone to install this software for me? As you know, I bought it in March and I am allergic to it. It's counterintuitive and problematic. There must be an expert I can just pay.

Comment

You can delete your FB created account just like any other account:

Admin CP -> Users -> Search for Users -> Quick User Links -> Delete User

2. You already have the software installed so an installation is not going to do anything other than get you back to the way vB was before you did anything. It also means you would lose all users, posts, forums, settings and everything else. I do not believe tat is what you want.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

But how does a user delete their own account?

Comment

Those instructions are in post #13. It's the same for deleting any account.

I would caution you from deleting your own account though unless you have another Admin account you can use. If you do, login with that account then delete the other one.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X