Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Author Selection for articles

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [CMS] Author Selection for articles

    Hi when i am uploading articles to the CMS i would like to select which author wrote it as oppose it showing who created the article.

    We have articles written in and submitted by others which we upload, however we are having to manually enter their names in the body of the text as 'Written by...' is there any way we can get the authors to appear by default the way vbulletin does it for those intially create the article..

    Hope i have made sense.

    Cheers

  • #2
    Are you creating thes articles in the CMS itself or promoting posts to articles? Which version of vB are you running?
    Vote for:

    - *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
      Are you creating thes articles in the CMS itself or promoting posts to articles? Which version of vB are you running?
      These articles are being created from the front end of vb cms using my main admin account. I am setting up the different sections and forum settings before going live, the vb is v.4.0.5 and will soon upgrade it to the latest version once i have sorted all the sections and other nitty gritty things.

      Comment


      • #4
        So basically what you are asking to do is create/publish the article yourself but then change the author name on it? There is no default method to be able to do this. You may want to look over on vbulletin.org, the modification site, and see if there is a modification to allow you to easily do this.

        Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

        W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

        Comment


        • #5
          What you may want to consider is a forum that acts as an article submission drop-box. Set the forum permissions up so that normal user groups can post new threads, but not see any other threads posted. When a member wants to contribute an article, they start a thread there, and write the article as a post, which they can go back and edit if necessary. When the content is done, you promote it to the CMS, and it retains the original author's name.

          The only drawback to this is that promoted posts contain text at the bottom that say "This article was originally published in forum thread: " with a link to the thread, and anyone clicking that link will get a no-permission error message. However a quick edit to template vbcms_content_article_page will remove that text entirely.

          Dexter...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lynne View Post
            So basically what you are asking to do is create/publish the article yourself but then change the author name on it? There is no default method to be able to do this. You may want to look over on vbulletin.org, the modification site, and see if there is a modification to allow you to easily do this.
            Sigh.. its a really big shame.. this feature should almost be mandatory for a CMS.

            Thanks

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dexter_kcd View Post
              What you may want to consider is a forum that acts as an article submission drop-box. Set the forum permissions up so that normal user groups can post new threads, but not see any other threads posted. When a member wants to contribute an article, they start a thread there, and write the article as a post, which they can go back and edit if necessary. When the content is done, you promote it to the CMS, and it retains the original author's name.

              The only drawback to this is that promoted posts contain text at the bottom that say "This article was originally published in forum thread: " with a link to the thread, and anyone clicking that link will get a no-permission error message. However a quick edit to template vbcms_content_article_page will remove that text entirely.

              Dexter...
              Yes i am aware of that.

              However i will soon have users who want to contribute towards articles but are not so tech savvy to post an article and then attach an image to accompany their article for promotion. Also people will be submitting their articles via email which i would like to upload and include their names to the articles by the vb default author option and not write their names in the article body.

              This feature is currently available in Joomla.

              Thanks for your input though.

              Comment


              • #8
                This has been brought up before, and I *think* they are planning this for a future version. When it will be available is unknown...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by OS, View Post

                  However i will soon have users who want to contribute towards articles but are not so tech savvy to post an article and then attach an image to accompany their article for promotion. Also people will be submitting their articles via email which i would like to upload and include their names to the articles by the vb default author option and not write their names in the article body.

                  This feature is currently available in Joomla.
                  Yes, I agree that this would be a good option to have right in the CMS. One could also do it by editing the article table directly in the database, but that's a pain to do every time, and really you don't want to go into the database unless you really have to. Add my vote to see this in the future.

                  Dexter...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                    This has been brought up before, and I *think* they are planning this for a future version. When it will be available is unknown...
                    Originally posted by Dexter_kcd View Post
                    Yes, I agree that this would be a good option to have right in the CMS. One could also do it by editing the article table directly in the database, but that's a pain to do every time, and really you don't want to go into the database unless you really have to. Add my vote to see this in the future.

                    Dexter...
                    Hear. Hear.

                    Maybe this should be moved into the suggestions forum.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I installed this mod from vbulletin.org - Change Author And Creation Date Of Posts And Articles

                      Comment

                      Related Topics

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X