Sections and languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] Sections and languages

I have multi language corporate site based on vBulletin CMS 4.0.5. This works OK, but not perfect. I have section "English" and all sub-sections in english there, while the rest of the site is on my native language. Can not give a link to my site now, I'm doing some analytics and this would increase visitors number.

Problem was how to force vBulletin to change the language when a user change section. It was neccessary to do that becouse of "read more..." phrase, and some other functions that I might have in the future. It would be silly if a visitor from USA come to my site, read a company infos in english and see link "read more..." written in croatian. Also, most of the visitors are from Croatia, so it would be unproffessional if they would see a links in english.

I solved this problem partially by removing all connections between sections, there are no links to english articles when user is reading croatian articles and vice versa. There is no "language sellection bar" in the footer. I have only 2 flags on the top of the header that leads to .../content.php?langid=2 and .../content.php?49&langid=1 so user changes the language and a section in one click. So far, this is the best that I know.

This solution has a lot of problems, I'm sure you know already some of them. For example, if a user comes to my site from google, it might go directly to .../content.php?49, without &langid=1, so he would read a content in english, but the links would be in croatian. There are millions of ways how to read a content in one language and see "read more..." in the other.

I want to remove a possibility for this, I want to dedicate a language to a specific sections, in same way as with styles and layouts. Is it possible to do it? Can this instruction "&langid=1" be a part of layout or a style?

You would need custom programming to force vBulletin to change languages based on the section the user is in. Usually the language of the site is tied to the User Account not where they are located within the site.

Since language is tied to the user account, someone with English as their chosen language would see all system text in English. This is regardless of whether they are in a Croatian article or not. Your Croatian visitors would likewise see everything in their chosen languages. However it will not translate the actual articles.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks, that was what I already knew, I just hoped that there is already some trick that would force vBulletin to behave in that specific way.

Can I make this language selection based on used layout? Becouse it's easy to work with layout, I already have layout named "english" dedicated to all english articles. So if I can put some instruction in one of the templates that would check what layout is used and change language... sorry, is this a question for vbulletin.org?

Comment

You would have to manually edit the code to add the langid parameter to the thinks in order to switch it. There is no way to do this automatically in vBulletin.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X