Can a forum get too big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Can a forum get too big?

Are there any recommend limits relating to the size of a forum? I have a site where one forum has 119,731 threads with 1,705,330 posts. Most of the posts are text based, but there are a lot of pictures and YouTube videos.

My forum total
    Threads 654,081 Posts7,364,130 Members66,008The reason for my question is that my DB is 11GB in size and I am getting a lot of error 24 in the mysql logs telling me too many open files and the site stalls or stops until the load drops. During the busy times we have about 10K in visitors and a couple of the forums have over 3K viewing each.

You might be to big for your britches, or just how their tuned. You should go post in the server configuration forum and request an optimization to see if antyhing can help.

Comment

what is your hosting plan specifications ?

look at these:
      • delete pms and visitor messages
      • delete the logs
      • move your board attachments to filesystem instead of db
      • delete the search index if you want (this will release huge space)
      • run check/optimze for your db tables (from your board admin)
      • I think there are many other things you can do to decrease your db size
      • decrease db queries as much as you can.
      • increase your maximum concurrent db connections
      Remember to backup everything and close your forum before doing any of those steps

if your attachments are on the file system. then everything in your db is text

picture or youtube consist of bbcode and link (i.e text)

you can enable the cache
      منتديات درر العراق

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X