Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monet
    replied
    I am following the installation guide readme notepad as well as a Youtube tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTa0F...eature=related

I am stuck, however, at the part where you rename/modify the config.php.new to config.php (upload > includes > config.php.new folder). I get an error message saying it's a read-only file and can't be updated.

I'm using Godaddy hosting (newbie).

How do I fix this? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    At the time of this post, it's working fine all around for me...

I don't see any error messages..

I'm off for the night, hope everything goes well. Otherwise, someone can pick this up and give you some additional help if needed.

Leave a comment:

• ©Rogue Trader©
    replied
    Now I just get an error message each time I go to the forum homepage mymmaforum.com

Everytime I go to this URL the forum shows fine: www.mymmaforum.com/forum.php I'm guessing I have to change something in the directory.

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    That appears to be correct; you'll just need to access your install.php now, enter your customer number from vBulletin and see how everything goes.

It will tell you right away if you have a configuration problem. Otherwise, just click "Next" for each process point.

Eventually, you'll enter your administrator user name and password somewhere towards the end.

You'll need to delete the install.php file from the install folder when you get to the end.

Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• ©Rogue Trader©
    replied
    Edit: Woooo I installed the forum successfully but it is not showing on the website. I can enter my AdminCP fine but the forum is not showing at all. What do I add to the directory in order to show the forum publicly?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ©Rogue Trader©; Tue 28 Sep '10, 7:20am.

Leave a comment:

• ©Rogue Trader©
    replied
    Oh, OK. I'm now uploading the files from the upload folder into public_html folder. I'll edit the config.php folder and then hopefully everything will run smoothly.

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    Originally posted by ©Rogue Trader© View Post
    I've set up a MySQL - infact I done that a few days ago. I'm just stuck on this bit in the config.php file:
    Where it says 'forum' -- replace that with whatever the name of your database is. When you created a database, you should have named it or maybe it gave you a name when it was created.

Example, the name of my newly created database is fishnchips - therefore, it would appear like this:

Code:
    //This is the name of the database where your vBulletin will be located.
    //This must be created by your webhost.
    $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'fishnchips';

Leave a comment:

• ©Rogue Trader©
    replied
    Originally posted by ENF View Post
    Depends on your hosting configuration....

In some cases, yes, your user name and password is your DB user name and password.

If you are using cPanel, I think there is a section in there where you can create a database, give it a name and possibly create a user for it. You'll need to do that first before you try running your install.

Your Host *should* have a tutorial on setting up MySQL, that should get the settings you need to update the config.php file.

At the absolute minimum, you need the following for the config.php:

1) database user name and password
    2) database connection information (localhost or other specified server address from the host)
    3) database name

It's no problem being new, we were all new at this at some point.

(to answer you whole question: I won't know any more information since each setup is specific for each user...)
    I've set up a MySQL - infact I done that a few days ago. I'm just stuck on this bit in the config.php file:

This is the name of the database where your vBulletin will be located.
    // This must be created by your webhost.
    $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum';

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    Right, I'm going to upload all the files again minus the actual upload folder. Could tell me what my database name is as I see to be struggling with that part of the config.php file. Would it be my username for accessing the CPanel and the MySQL username. Sorry to be such a nuisance, I'm a total novice at all this.
    Depends on your hosting configuration....

In some cases, yes, your user name and password is your DB user name and password.

If you are using cPanel, I think there is a section in there where you can create a database, give it a name and possibly create a user for it. You'll need to do that first before you try running your install.

Your Host *should* have a tutorial on setting up MySQL, that should get the settings you need to update the config.php file.

At the absolute minimum, you need the following for the config.php:

1) database user name and password
    2) database connection information (localhost or other specified server address from the host)
    3) database name

It's no problem being new, we were all new at this at some point.

(to answer you whole question: I won't know any more information since each setup is specific for each user...)

Leave a comment:

• ©Rogue Trader©
    replied
    Right, I'm going to upload all the files again minus the actual upload folder. Could tell me what my database name is as I see to be struggling with that part of the config.php file. Would it be my username for accessing the CPanel and the MySQL username. Sorry to be such a nuisance, I'm a total novice at all this.

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    You uploaded your entire 'Upload' folder instead of the contents of the upload folder.

You should move all of the contents of the 'upload' folder to the root of public_html

Your install file is located here: http://www.mymmaforum.com/upload/install/

But it appears that include directory doesn't have a valid config.php file.

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    Would you mind if I PM'd you screenshots?
    Edit: I found your problem.

Leave a comment:

• ©Rogue Trader©
    replied
    I used Filezilla to upload the files and dragged them into the public_html folder. My File Manager is showing me they are there. I may delete them and start the process again.

Would you mind if I PM'd you screenshots?

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    Yes. I followed the correct procedures and they are sitting in my file manager now. I tried running the install.php script as well but I couldn't do it.
    Yes, you can't run install.php - because the files aren't there.

I don't know where you uploaded your files to, but it's the wrong spot.

If your files were in the right spot, you wouldn't get the "Parent Directory" listing that you showed above.

Every host is different, but usually there's a folder called "public_html" or something similar that allows you to put public facing files out for people to see. If you've uploaded the vbulletin files above the public directory, you won't be able to install or even view those files.

You won't get anywhere past this point until the files are in the right spot. So, please check this carefully and let us know if you still cannot figure it out.

If you would like, you can fill out a support request and give the vBulletin team access to your site to figure it out. (or just pay them to install it for you)

That's the best I've got to offer until the files are in the right spot.

Leave a comment:

• ©Rogue Trader©
    replied
    Yes. I followed the correct procedures and they are sitting in my file manager now. I tried running the install.php script as well but I couldn't do it.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X