Config.php file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Config.php file

Hi guys, I just bought the new version of vBulletin forum software but I'm having trouble editing the config.php file. I have uploaded everything else to the web server (the 'upload' folder along with the config.php file) but I don't know if I'm editing it wrong or what but it seems like I've entered the incorrect information because my web page isn't showing the messages it should show as per the vBulletin Installation Manual.

Help would be extremely appreciated.

Many thanks,

T.

You'll need to be more specific to get better help.

1) You should have entered into your config.php
    -DB Name
    -DB Prefix (not required, unless you're going to run more than one VB database)
    -DB Address (provided by your host or set in your control panel)
    -DB User Name (provided by your host or set in your control panel)
    -DB Error Reporting Email address (not required, but helpful in some cases)
    -Other items in the config.php don't need to be adjusted right away, this is just the base setup to get your forum software configured correctly.

See my notes below in RED.

Code:
        //    ****** DATABASE NAME ******
        //    This is the name of the database where your vBulletin will be located.
        //    This must be created by your webhost.
    $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum'; // Name of your DB 

//    ****** TABLE PREFIX ******
        //    Prefix that your vBulletin tables have in the database.
    $config['Database']['tableprefix'] = ''; // Table prefix here Example: vb_ -- not required unless you'll have more than one VB database

//    ****** TECHNICAL EMAIL ADDRESS ******
        //    If any database errors occur, they will be emailed to the address specified here.
        //    Leave this blank to not send any emails when there is a database error.
    $config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]'; //Enter an email address you want to receive DB errors at (not required)

//    ****** MASTER DATABASE SERVER NAME AND PORT ******
        //    This is the hostname or IP address and port of the database server.
        //    If you are unsure of what to put here, leave the default values.
    $config['MasterServer']['servername'] = 'localhost'; // Enter your DB address (IP address or DNS name)
    $config['MasterServer']['port'] = 3306; // Shouldn't have to change this

//    ****** MASTER DATABASE USERNAME & PASSWORD ******
        //    This is the username and password you use to access MySQL.
        //    These must be obtained through your webhost.
    $config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root';  // Replace root with your DB user name
    $config['MasterServer']['password'] = ''; // Place your DB password here
    -DB User Password (provided by hour host or set in your control panel)

2) Upload your files to the correct location on your server.

3) What happens when you run the install.php file?

I assume you renamed the config.php.new to config.php

Give us more specifics of what you are seeing.

Also confirm your version of PHP and MySQL that is on your server.

Example of a properly configured example config.php:

Code:
    //    ****** DATABASE NAME ******     
    //    This is the name of the database where your vBulletin will be located.     
    //    This must be created by your webhost. 
    $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'vb4discuss'; // Name of your DB       

//    ****** TABLE PREFIX ******    
    //    Prefix that your vBulletin tables have in the database. 
    $config['Database']['tableprefix'] = 'vb4_'; // Table prefix here Example: vb_ -- not required unless you'll have more than one VB database      

//    ****** TECHNICAL EMAIL ADDRESS ******    
    //    If any database errors occur, they will be emailed to the address specified here.     
    //    Leave this blank to not send any emails when there is a database error. 
    $config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]'; //Enter an email address you want to receive DB errors at (not required)  

//    ****** MASTER DATABASE SERVER NAME AND PORT ******    
    //    This is the hostname or IP address and port of the database server.     
    //    If you are unsure of what to put here, leave the default values. 
    $config['MasterServer']['servername'] = 'localhost'; // Enter your DB address (localhost, IP address or DNS name) 
    $config['MasterServer']['port'] = 3306; // Shouldn't have to change this  

//    ****** MASTER DATABASE USERNAME & PASSWORD ******    
     //    This is the username and password you use to access MySQL.    
     //    These must be obtained through your webhost. 
    $config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'dbusername';  // Replace root with your DB user name 
    $config['MasterServer']['password'] = 'mypassword123'; // Place your DB password here

Last edited by ENF; Tue 28 Sep '10, 5:13am. Reason: Fixed the Format
    To be updated...

Comment

How do I confirm the version of PHP or MySQL version I'm using?

Also, this is the message I'm seeing when I go onto my website:

Index of /index.php

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.9 Server at ***.com Port 80

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Comment

You haven't uploaded your files, it seems. Based on the info you posted, the vbulletin file structure has not been properly uploaded to the web server.

Your PHP appears to be fine; your host should have an information block to tell you what MySQL version you have... but I'm betting it's probably ok.

Are you familiar with FTP and how to upload the files to your server?
        To be updated...

Comment

Yes. I followed the correct procedures and they are sitting in my file manager now. I tried running the install.php script as well but I couldn't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ©Rogue Trader© View Post
            Yes. I followed the correct procedures and they are sitting in my file manager now. I tried running the install.php script as well but I couldn't do it.
            Yes, you can't run install.php - because the files aren't there.

I don't know where you uploaded your files to, but it's the wrong spot.

If your files were in the right spot, you wouldn't get the "Parent Directory" listing that you showed above.

Every host is different, but usually there's a folder called "public_html" or something similar that allows you to put public facing files out for people to see. If you've uploaded the vbulletin files above the public directory, you won't be able to install or even view those files.

You won't get anywhere past this point until the files are in the right spot. So, please check this carefully and let us know if you still cannot figure it out.

If you would like, you can fill out a support request and give the vBulletin team access to your site to figure it out. (or just pay them to install it for you)

That's the best I've got to offer until the files are in the right spot.
            To be updated...

Comment

I used Filezilla to upload the files and dragged them into the public_html folder. My File Manager is showing me they are there. I may delete them and start the process again.

Would you mind if I PM'd you screenshots?

Comment

Would you mind if I PM'd you screenshots?
                Edit: I found your problem.
                To be updated...

Comment

You uploaded your entire 'Upload' folder instead of the contents of the upload folder.

You should move all of the contents of the 'upload' folder to the root of public_html

Your install file is located here: http://www.mymmaforum.com/upload/install/

But it appears that include directory doesn't have a valid config.php file.
                  To be updated...

Comment

Right, I'm going to upload all the files again minus the actual upload folder. Could tell me what my database name is as I see to be struggling with that part of the config.php file. Would it be my username for accessing the CPanel and the MySQL username. Sorry to be such a nuisance, I'm a total novice at all this.

Comment

Right, I'm going to upload all the files again minus the actual upload folder. Could tell me what my database name is as I see to be struggling with that part of the config.php file. Would it be my username for accessing the CPanel and the MySQL username. Sorry to be such a nuisance, I'm a total novice at all this.
                      Depends on your hosting configuration....

In some cases, yes, your user name and password is your DB user name and password.

If you are using cPanel, I think there is a section in there where you can create a database, give it a name and possibly create a user for it. You'll need to do that first before you try running your install.

Your Host *should* have a tutorial on setting up MySQL, that should get the settings you need to update the config.php file.

At the absolute minimum, you need the following for the config.php:

1) database user name and password
                      2) database connection information (localhost or other specified server address from the host)
                      3) database name

It's no problem being new, we were all new at this at some point.

(to answer you whole question: I won't know any more information since each setup is specific for each user...)
                      To be updated...

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
                        Depends on your hosting configuration....

In some cases, yes, your user name and password is your DB user name and password.

If you are using cPanel, I think there is a section in there where you can create a database, give it a name and possibly create a user for it. You'll need to do that first before you try running your install.

Your Host *should* have a tutorial on setting up MySQL, that should get the settings you need to update the config.php file.

At the absolute minimum, you need the following for the config.php:

1) database user name and password
                        2) database connection information (localhost or other specified server address from the host)
                        3) database name

It's no problem being new, we were all new at this at some point.

(to answer you whole question: I won't know any more information since each setup is specific for each user...)
                        I've set up a MySQL - infact I done that a few days ago. I'm just stuck on this bit in the config.php file:

This is the name of the database where your vBulletin will be located.
                        // This must be created by your webhost.
                        $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum';

Comment

I've set up a MySQL - infact I done that a few days ago. I'm just stuck on this bit in the config.php file:
                          Where it says 'forum' -- replace that with whatever the name of your database is. When you created a database, you should have named it or maybe it gave you a name when it was created.

Example, the name of my newly created database is fishnchips - therefore, it would appear like this:

Code:
                          //This is the name of the database where your vBulletin will be located.
                          //This must be created by your webhost.
                          $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'fishnchips';
                          To be updated...

Comment

Oh, OK. I'm now uploading the files from the upload folder into public_html folder. I'll edit the config.php folder and then hopefully everything will run smoothly.

Comment

Edit: Woooo I installed the forum successfully but it is not showing on the website. I can enter my AdminCP fine but the forum is not showing at all. What do I add to the directory in order to show the forum publicly?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ©Rogue Trader©; Tue 28 Sep '10, 7:20am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X