X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    joelnet

• joelnet
    replied
    I had the default settings for the cookie. I changed the cookie domain to include the '.' before the domain name (field was previously blank). Users were still experiencing issues afterwards.

I had them clear their cookies and the complaints seem to have died.

Leave a comment:

• Huskermax

• Huskermax
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynne View Post
    Try deleting all your cookies and getting new ones and see if that fixes the issue.
    So far that is working.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support

• Lynne
    replied
    Try deleting all your cookies and getting new ones and see if that fixes the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Huskermax

• Huskermax
    replied
    Check Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > History and see which setting you picked. That setting determines whether cookies are saved or not.
    It is set to accept cookies with no exceptions. I have it set to accept 3rd party cookies until they expire. These are the cookies listed for the (I think) board in the folder.

The date after is when they are set to expire. These cookies are listed in that folder several times.

bb_lastactivity Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:25:06 PM

bb_lastvisit Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:25:06 PM

bb_thread_lastview At end of session

bb_cpsession At end of session

bb_sessionhash At end of session

bb_forum_view At end of session

bb_password Friday, November 11, 2011 7:11:45 PM

bb_userid Friday, November 11, 2011 7:11:45 PM

When I use this board I never have to log back in (after checking the remember me box). But with mine I do.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support

• Lynne
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskermax View Post
    Very good point. I have been able to try other computers, my desk top and the computers at work. I have logged in on those and selected remember me. If I leave or shut down the computer and come back and start up and put in the URL to my board it has remember me and does not ask for me to log in again. On my laptop I have to log in every time I visit the board. For some reason it is not remembering the remember cookie. I can not find in setting in fire fox were that is. I have 4.0.7 and fire fox 3.6.12, could there be some issues with this latest version of fire fox and vbulletin?
    Check Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > History and see which setting you picked. That setting determines whether cookies are saved or not.

Leave a comment:

• Huskermax

• Huskermax
    replied
    It is very, very difficult to help a user in a thread when so many other users are asking for help also and everybody is posting about slightly different issues or things they have tried. One thread per user is much easier because then we can easily check back and see exactly what *you* have tried.
    Very good point. I have been able to try other computers, my desk top and the computers at work. I have logged in on those and selected remember me. If I leave or shut down the computer and come back and start up and put in the URL to my board it has remember me and does not ask for me to log in again. On my laptop I have to log in every time I visit the board. For some reason it is not remembering the remember cookie. I can not find in setting in fire fox were that is. I have 4.0.7 and fire fox 3.6.12, could there be some issues with this latest version of fire fox and vbulletin?

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support

• Lynne
    replied
    It is very, very difficult to help a user in a thread when so many other users are asking for help also and everybody is posting about slightly different issues or things they have tried. One thread per user is much easier because then we can easily check back and see exactly what *you* have tried.

Leave a comment:

• Huskermax

• Huskermax
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Could everyone please start their own threads if you need help. This will make it easier to help each of you. Thanks.
    I think we are all having the same issues. I log in using the remember be box. But if I close out the browser it logs out. It used to not do that. Basically before all this started to happen I could have a browser open on the bbs and it would stay logged in all day. If the 900 sec passed it would log out but all I had to do was hit the log in button again since it remembered me. Know I have to type in my log in and pw each time. And it does not last 900 sec.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Could everyone please start their own threads if you need help. This will make it easier to help each of you. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Daniel.P

• Daniel.P
    replied
    any reset will not solve the problem.
    if the user has not selected Remember me
    will be thrown out of the forum much earlier than cookies time outs.
    for me 1200 sec.
    users logout distinguished 5min or more.
    most often happens when writing long posts.

Leave a comment:

• joelnet

• joelnet
    replied
    some users on this site are experiencing the same problem. i did not have the cookie domain set. i have now set it to ".mydomain.com".

i tried to access the tools.php as this thread suggests, but i'm getting a security alert when trying to access the admincp with tools.php installed. When I try to access tools.php directly, I get a 500 error.

How am I supposed to access tools.php? Or can I do the reset another way?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager

• Steve Machol
    replied
    The only way that would happen is if you are not clicking on the Remember me and/or you are blocking cookies, or you have a modification causing this.

Leave a comment:

• Huskermax

• Huskermax
    replied
    If things are working fine, then you don't need to do a thing.

tools.php is used to reset your cookie domain to blank so that you are able to log back into your site if you did something to mess up the cookies.

The cookie prefix in the config.php file only needs to be touched if you have several vbulletin installations running under the same domain (like your live site and a test site).
    The only thing that is not working it getting logged out to fast. I asked other people and they have not had the same issue. Everything is set to how you have said it needs to be set to through out this thread. So What I can't figure out is why it seems to just be me that is getting logged out much faster then the 900 sec I have it set too. Like less then a minute for idle time and sometimes when I refresh.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support

• Lynne
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskermax View Post
    Do I need to do the above with tools? We changed to a new server with a different IP address. Domain name is the same and our cookie is set to .yoursite.com. Were in config.php do I need to change the cookie?
    If things are working fine, then you don't need to do a thing.

tools.php is used to reset your cookie domain to blank so that you are able to log back into your site if you did something to mess up the cookies.

The cookie prefix in the config.php file only needs to be touched if you have several vbulletin installations running under the same domain (like your live site and a test site).

Leave a comment:

• Huskermax

• Huskermax
    replied
    You can reset the cookie domain by uploading tools.php (from your do_not_upload folder) to the admincp, logging into it, and then click to reset the cookie domain. Afterwards, remove tools.php from the admincp.
    It will do it on both boards if you do not have a unique cookie prefix set for each of them in your config.php file.

I have not heard of this happening for only specific browsers. This is usually a cookie issue (sometimes related to style issue).
    Do I need to do the above with tools? We changed to a new server with a different IP address. Domain name is the same and our cookie is set to .yoursite.com. Were in config.php do I need to change the cookie?

Leave a comment: