spambots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] spambots

everyday it seems like there is another random name that registered on the forum with an obvious spam email

whats the best and easiest way to stop forum spam and bots? i have captcha i think thats it, a plugin perhaps? without a trademark or whatever at the bottom of the screen

or spiders ? but I don't know anything about those.

any ideas?

Use the Question & Answers system instead of captcha.

Comment

Yeah, questions and answers is best.

Or look for things that are consistent. I find that all 98% accounts are gmail, so am just going to ban gmail - or put such users into a holding area for manual approval.

Comment

Gmail is a popular legit email service that a lot use. If you block gmail in general you could be shooting yourself in the foot. Q and A has been recommended by many so it must work. Might want to try that first.

Comment

question and answer is good, but it's not going to stop everyone
          there are a few good spam mods at the org, I suggest a few lines of protection
          -- Web Developer for hire
          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            Use the Question & Answers system instead of captcha.
            Q & A works awesome over Captcha... So far I've not had to deal with a single spammer in over 9 months!
            Mopar1973Man.Com Forum and Article Database Powered By vBulletin 4.2.0 & Joomla 2.5.11 -~- Michael Nelson -> SoonTM to be Invision Power Board Powered
            Posted With Ubuntu Linux 12.04.2

Comment

http://www.botscout.com/code.htm

has a nice vbulletin plugin to help

i dont like the idea that these bots can post as guests, when all your options are locked up tight

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X