Pruning thousands of threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Pruning thousands of threads

I have thousands of threads (and in turn hundreds of thousands of posts) that I want to prune from the database. Using the admincp is pretty slow and clunky for such a large prune job. Is there another way to go about deleting such a massive amount of threads? (Some of which contain 50,000+ posts)?

What ever you do or however you go about it, back up your database first. If something bad happens while you're trying to do this operation, you'll be able to go back and try again. If you don't and you bugger up your database you'll be dead in the water.
    I would think you'd have to edit the database hince the warning. Some one a lot smarter than me will have to tell you how. wish my forum was that busy...

Comment

Originally posted by setishock View Post
      What ever you do or however you go about it, back up your database first. If something bad happens while you're trying to do this operation, you'll be able to go back and try again. If you don't and you bugger up your database you'll be dead in the water.
      I would think you'd have to edit the database hince the warning. Some one a lot smarter than me will have to tell you how. wish my forum was that busy...

heh, yeah I've made plenty of backups before (nightly backups are invoked using mysqlhotcopy); I know I can probably do a massive "delete from post where" query; though I don't know what state that leaves the database overall and what other queries are invoked to cleanly remove an entire thread.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X