Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Newly registered users into a specific group

HI

VB 4.06 In order to cut down on spammers, some of whom have posted offensive material, I want to create a group which new registrants will enter immediately on registration, where they will stay for 30 days say, where they will have posting restrictions placed on them (i.e. no ability to post pictures) until I decide to move them to the registered users group.

I dont see a way of doing this, as currently they all go to the registered users group, where I want people to be able to have attachments for example .. can it be done ?
    www.plantandconstruction.co.uk

Be default, and hard-coded into vB, your users end up in the Registered Users group after they confirm the email/get approved/whatever. What you want to do is create a new usergroup Registered Users 30 Days Old, and then create a promotion to move users to this new usergroup after 30 days. Then edit the usergroups as you want.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Also, alternatively you can use my mod. It does just that.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=242068

Comment

Ok thanks guys .. another impasse... this was a basic tool in phpBB3 thanks for your reply anyway Lynne, as I know you and I didnt get off to a good start

So edit the basic category for registered users to have few prevelidges you mean , and create another with all the privelidges you want, and move them after 30 days ? .. ok thats a work around ,.. But a bit more hassle and time to do

Barbole .. I'm no coder ..I like the sound of it and thanks for your reply but editing the main code leaves me a bit cold since VB didnt code it that way in the first place , why didnt they ? curious ?

Comment

How is it more hassle? You'll still have two usergroups, newly registered and automatic promotion after 30 days just like you wanted, or you can make it manual. What does it matter what they are called? You're right; things are much simpler in PHPBB, but you probably migrated here because it has more features, right? Well robust usergroup permissions is one of them. You can create all sorts of promotions.

Actually, what you're seeing is what vBulletin is all about; if you want a feature, someone probably has a mod to do it. People cry about too many features and others cry about not enough. I don't want this feature standard as I have no use for it.
          nakedanvil
          Last edited by nakedanvil; Wed 25 Aug '10, 3:06pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
            Ok thanks guys .. another impasse... this was a basic tool in phpBB3 thanks for your reply anyway Lynne, as I know you and I didnt get off to a good start

So edit the basic category for registered users to have few prevelidges you mean , and create another with all the privelidges you want, and move them after 30 days ? .. ok thats a work around ,.. But a bit more hassle and time to do

Barbole .. I'm no coder ..I like the sound of it and thanks for your reply but editing the main code leaves me a bit cold since VB didnt code it that way in the first place , why didnt they ? curious ?
            You don''t have to edit the code if you install my mod. And the code must be edited so to speak anytime you will need to add new features that are not included as default in vb btw.

But if you are not comfortable with installing mods, then you can do what you want very easily with the group promotion like described above as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
              How is it more hassle? You'll still have two usergroups, newly registered and automatic promotion after 30 days just like you wanted, or you can make it manual
              Yes Ive come to realise that .. It just didnt seem so at first ! I think its called analysis paralysis

Thanks for your help guys

Actually,.. having gone on to use the recapcha system, the spam has greatly reduced anyway

Comment

You don't need to install a mod for this, it's a default setting in vBulletin already

setup promotions to move your "registered users" to whatever group you want
                -- Web Developer for hire
                ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X