• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Search indexes taking up over 1/3rd of my database

Guys,

My forum has the following info:

Threads305,432
    Posts1,612,023

My provider says that i need to slim the database, since it is too large. Apparently over 1/3rd of the database is made up of search indexes (the DB is around 6Gb in size, IMO WAY too big - it was around 1.6G under Vb 3.8!). I'm running Vb 4.0.3.

Any suggestions other than deleting the search indexes, which IMO would defeat the object of the board's existance!

Any advise on how to slim things down at all??

Cheers
    Paul

You're running 4.03? Upgrade to 4.04.

I found this info here: http://articles.digitalpoint.com/con...ze-vBulletin-4

Drop FULLTEXT Indexes
    If you upgraded from vBulletin 3, you can drop every FULLTEXT index in your database EXCEPT for the ones in searchcore_text and searchgroup_text. The vBulletin 4 upgrade process does not remove the old vBulletin 3 FULLTEXT indexes that are no longer used. By default there are 4 of these indexes (in the post, groupmessage, socialgroup and thread tables) which can be removed.

Update: The 4.0.4 update removes all of these indexes automatically EXCEPT for the thread index.

Comment

Many thanks for that info - i'll do an upgrade to the latest version over the weekend.

However, i still cant see how a database that was 1.6Gb in v3.8 can end up as over 6gb when upgraded/re-installed under V4!

Has anyone else any ideas as to what has happened and how i might correct it??

Many thanks
      Paul

Comment

If you record images in the database, move them in the file system.
        Data Usage 1.97 GB
        Index Usage 1.59 GB

for
        Threads
        Members
        born to fish forced to work

Comment

Daniel_pet,

Many thanks - is there an easy way to check and see what images are contained in the DB at all??

Cheers
          Paul

Comment

no,
            you can check the adminCP where recorded images.
            if database, you can transfer them into the file system.
            !!! required to verify permissions on folder in which the transfer.
            born to fish forced to work

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X