No announcement yet.

So, 4.06 is out, is vb4 useable yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] So, 4.06 is out, is vb4 useable yet?

This might seem rude, but after buying VB4, and having lots of problems with it, slow, average styling etc, and a very average CMS, I haven't really logged back in, nor upgraded my rather large community to this software version yet. Still running good on VB 3.8.6.

Anyway, to the point, is this useable yet? Is it easy to build your own style, without too much hassle, is the CMS useable? Is it on par with Joomla or Wordpress yet? Is the 'slow' bug gone, which was bad on big communities?

If someone could offer some links to some sites that are working well with the software, please post them here for me to look at.

Please note: I'm not here to bash VB, but for me, the software (versions 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.0.2) was not working for me. At all.

To be honest, I'm on 4.0.4 and its pretty usable. A couple code edits I had to do, but NOTHING like .0, .1, or .2. Those things were so unbelievably terrible that I'm not even sure why I stuck with vB.

Comment

I'm really glad I upgraded, yes there was bugs to fix but I'm still to upgrade to the latest version. Speed seems ok to me. The CMS does need a bit of work but I'm guessing because it's quite a new feature it will be a while until it's at the stage I'd like it to be on my design site.

Comment

Really afraid to upgrade.... Still on 4.0.4

Comment

I see 4.06 PL1 is already out, that has to be a new record for a patch level release.

Comment

More bugs here than Morton bay.. <-- have to be an aussie to get that one...

The amount of bugs has dropped off, much like the support

Comment

We're currently toodling along on 4.0.5 quite happily. Far better than what we were on before (which was PHP-Nuke).

We'll likely upgrade to 4.0.6 in a month or so.

Comment

Originally posted by FractalizeR View Post
                Really afraid to upgrade.... Still on 4.0.4
                Shame here, plus it costs me everytime as I pay someone to deal with the server side of things.

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
                I see 4.06 PL1 is already out, that has to be a new record for a patch level release.
                Oh, FFS!

testing 1..2..3

Comment

yes it is useable with good speed , i disable cms

click here

Comment

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
                    The OP has CMS, so the (Forum Only) PL1 has no relevance to him.
                    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                      The OP has CMS, so the (Forum Only) PL1 has no relevance to him.
                      It was just a comment, not a suggestion to the OP to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly View Post
                        To be honest, I'm on 4.0.4 and its pretty usable. A couple code edits I had to do, but NOTHING like .0, .1, or .2. Those things were so unbelievably terrible that I'm not even sure why I stuck with vB.
                        same... very reluctant to upgrade past 4.0.4. I however, do check everyday to see how the guinea pigs are all doing here. I feel like I am a gambling junkie looking at numbers.
                        I download the new version, then bite my nails until I get my senses to hold off. I think to myself, what a wonderful world it is right now.
                        Seems after I always update, I loose that feeling.

Glad its getting better. I may just update to 4.0.6 when the infamous patch comes out.
                        Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
                        created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

I so wish we'd stayed back on 3.7 rather than go up to 4.05. Worst thing we ever did, combine that with the worst webhost on the face of the planet and we've had a nightmare month.

I would have paid someone to go back to 3.7 too if only I hadn't removed attachments from the database making it almost impossible to downgrade the database.

I'm on 4.0.5 and we're stuck with it but it's still **** performance-wise and our users hate it.

Can't wait for a release that speeds things up and makes things much more customisable.

Love vBulletin but absolutely loathe 4.0.5

Comment

I'm using V4.0.6 have the suite but don't use the CMS as I use Joomla, found the VB CMS sucked to be honest with testing. As I use jFusion for bridging my software that helps with logins. What I found first off when I instigated the change to 4.0.4 which is where I found that it was more usable and layout look was much better, that was when I upgraded. The upgrade went flawlessly for me, and yes the members didn't like the change over, but now after a couple of months they have gotten use to it.

What I have found though, is that a lot of things that should have been included in the main software, still has to be done through hacks, mods and plugins that others write for the system to work the way probably most people would like. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done, obviously. I just wish that vb owners would look at the most popular mods that are done and incorporate them into the system as locked in coding. I think then people would be a lot happier with the cost that they are charged for the product.

Certainly I like many others didn't like the fact that my Owned Licence has gone and I had to purchase a product (yes to save money) prior to it actually being released. It was certainly a lot of trust on our part as customers paying for a product not yet delivered or usable for really quite some time. Yes I know that there were those that instigated it upon its first release, but then they complained and complained and things started to come together a bit better whilst they listen to suggestions, often they seem to then cast them aside, from what I have read on the forums.

I still don't think that the CMS is really up to the dynamics of Joomla or other similar software, especially as those are free. They should take a leaf out of their books and look at those as suggested ways to implement a CMS system really, it is quite pathetic to be honest.
                            Thanks,

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Demaree View Post
                              I so wish we'd stayed back on 3.7 rather than go up to 4.05. Worst thing we ever did, combine that with the worst webhost on the face of the planet and we've had a nightmare month.

I would have paid someone to go back to 3.7 too if only I hadn't removed attachments from the database making it almost impossible to downgrade the database.

I'm on 4.0.5 and we're stuck with it but it's still **** performance-wise and our users hate it.

Can't wait for a release that speeds things up and makes things much more customisable.

Love vBulletin but absolutely loathe 4.0.5
                              I had a speed problem when I was on my own server, it was getting slower and slower on each upgrade then the server crashed and died, so no I am on reseller account with a large hosting company and the speed has improved ten fold.

I love the 4.0.X series extremely quick on the forum side of things, as I do not use the CMS I can not comment on it, but the forum software is smooth and slick.

So the moral of this story is, get a decent host and don't worry about a thing.

And have not heard that Morton bay joke for a long time. Go Aussies!!
                              My Forums - 7 Meditations & Psyspiritual

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X