Spam Registrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rnmcd View Post
    Why aren't we able to add a question & answer along with an image verification from the admincp? Wouldn't that make spam registration ever more difficult?
    Actually you can do this with a profile field: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...-registrations
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Great. Thanks.

Comment

I have had to turn editing profiles off completely last night. In the past week I have had hundreds registering. I first turned off signatures, then disabled adding a homepage. When they could no longer edit those they started putting words in their location, bio and other fields but they weren't links so I checked each one and edited out everything in those fields. I am not sure what they hope to accomplish with this, what do they get out of posting words in the profile fields if there is no link? Is anyone else having this problem? I have had over 30 register today alone. Now I have it set so that you have to post 10 times and then you will be promoted into a usergroup that will allow profile editing. Once they figure this out they start posting a sentence a few words at a time replying to a topic until they get 10 posts, or they just go to 10 different threads and post something like "cool" or "nice post" or "thanks". Then post their spam, do they not think it's going to be deleted if they do this when you have set that many roadblocks? This is VERY frustrating. I don't think you can do any to stop some of these people. I have even deleted some and banned the user and they will register again immediatly with the same name but a number after it and do the exact same thing again.

Comment

Originally posted by PixelGal View Post
          ... I have even deleted some and banned the user and they will register again immediatly with the same name but a number after it and do the exact same thing again.
          Tell us which questions you're using so we know not to use those!

Comment

I am not using questions. I have only had captcha on.

Comment

I am not using questions. I have only had captcha on.
              Then you must not have read the rest of this thread. Captcha is useless against spam bots now. It only serves to annoy real people. Stop it.

Comment

If you really want to stop spam bots, then use this mod : http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=230921

I've installed it on my forum. It works great with vBulletin version 4.0.8 , by the way,

It stopped a lot of bots from joining my forum. ( but, some aren't blacklisted, so if one signs up, submit their IP to StopForumSpam.com )

Comment

I meant that's the only thing included with VB I have used, normally on this forum they don't want to hear about the add ons, I was giving the information to hopefully help make VB aware of what isn't working with the standard software in hopes of them finding a better system to include in what we are actually paying for. I have installed a permission based add on and that has stopped much of it, but I don't think the ones on my site are bots. I think they are humans because I see them trying to do different things once they are blocked at the profile. They try the blog, posting in threads and profile comments. The only way I can stop them is exactly what I have done, but they seem to have access to unlimited IP addresses so even if you ban them they just register again. So I don't know what you can do about that, but it is certainly frustrating and I am hoping if VB knows what problems we are having they can help us solve it without adding all the extras.

Comment

I meant that's the only thing included with VB I have used, normally on this forum they don't want to hear about the add ons ...
                    Q&A is included with standard vb4. Don't knock it until you've tried it. I agree they probably should have just dropped captcha, as many are still unaware it's been cracked.

Comment

Can anyone tell me why my vb4.08 does NOT include Q&A? The only options i have in the "Human Verification" section of admincp are the checkboxes for different actions that should have Human Verification. Nowhere in my vbulletin admincp can i choose to use a question and answer. Also, I can't enable or disable captcha... wtf.

Comment

Originally posted by phdev View Post
                        Can anyone tell me why my vb4.08 does NOT include Q&A? The only options i have in the "Human Verification" section of admincp are the checkboxes for different actions that should have Human Verification. Nowhere in my vbulletin admincp can i choose to use a question and answer. Also, I can't enable or disable captcha... wtf.
                        Calm down and you will find it.

Settings
                        Human Verification Manager

Choose the verification type that you wish to present to the user.
                        Choose:
                        Question & Answer Verification
                        Save

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Wow, that's a weird way to organize it.... Thanks for pointing that out for me though.. Wish they had combined both settings pages. A lot of people have been telling me to go to options- human verification

Comment

Do you have to keep changing your questions? Meaning do they have someone make a note of all the questions you ask and enter them in to whatever they are using to spam so it keeps trying till they are in?

Comment

Not usually. Almost always these are automated registration attempts and any simple question will foil them forever. Well, until the software gets better at it anyway. In theory, some really big forums may be worth humans actually answering, but this is rare and can probably be foiled with more specific questions. Personally I avoid easy questions like "What is 2+2?" since even Google could answer that. Think of the theme of your forum and ask an easy question pertaining to it.

Comment

Got it, thanks.

Comment