Spam Registrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Spam Registrations

I have recently set up my forum and I am having difficulty with unwanted spam registrations. Is there a setting as the administrator where I can filter these registrations out?
    Mark R

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
    I have recently set up my forum and I am having difficulty with unwanted spam registrations. Is there a setting as the administrator where I can filter these registrations out?
    Mark R
    ACP
    vBulletin Options
    Human Verification Manager
    Question & Answer Verification

Add your questions and answers.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

wrong thread posting sorry
      Programming Forum || PHP Forum || Windows Forum

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
        Correct. Any simple q&a will stop 99% of them. A narrower q&a will get more like 100%.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
          Mark

Comment

ACP
            vBulletin Options

Dear

I enabled the GD for the HVM But the characters does not appear over the image when registering new user.

attached is the screen shot.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Videx View Post
              Correct. Any simple q&a will stop 99% of them. A narrower q&a will get more like 100%.
              It will if they are bots but recently most of those spammers are human, at least the one that register bypassing all the security measures at the registration page.

Comment

Originally posted by tariqalali View Post
                I enabled the GD for the HVM But the characters does not appear over the image when registering new user.
                Just turn it off. Those Captchas were broken years ago and now they just make it harder for real people.

Originally posted by borbole View Post
                It will if they are bots but recently most of those spammers are human, at least the one that register bypassing all the security measures at the registration page.
                Stopping a determined human is a whole different subject - it's not accurate to call a person like this a 'spammer'. More like a 'griefer'. He's not hoping to make money, he's hoping to cause you grief.

Comment

Originally posted by Videx View Post
                  Just turn it off. Those Captchas were broken years ago and now they just make it harder for real people.

Stopping a determined human is a whole different subject - it's not accurate to call a person like this a 'spammer'. More like a 'griefer'. He's not hoping to make money, he's hoping to cause you grief.
                  Recently human register bypassing all the security measures at the registration page and then they turn over their accounts to the bots, hence their name "human spammers".

Comment

So you recommend I keep it on the current settings ? i feel there is spam registration cause today when I installed the hack "who registered today" i saw over 100 new users but their nicks does not appear proper human.

so what do you recommend ?

Comment

So you recommend I keep it on the current settings ? i feel there is spam registration cause today when I installed the hack "who registered today" i saw over 100 new users but their nicks does not appear proper human.

so what do you recommend ?
                      Well, personally I don''t bother with trying to stop the spammers at the registration but rather stopping them at the forum when trying to post and/or send pm and/or using signatures etc etc. If you will check my signature you will see several mods I have coded for those kind of things and they have proven to be very effective to my clients and myself.

Comment

ACP
                        vBulletin Options

Originally posted by borbole View Post
                        Well, personally I don''t bother with trying to stop the spammers at the registration but rather stopping them at the forum when trying to post and/or send pm and/or using signatures etc etc. If you will check my signature you will see several mods I have coded for those kind of things and they have proven to be very effective to my clients and myself.
                        Thanx alot borbole, I used several of your mods. They are very useful.

Comment

Thanx alot borbole, I used several of your mods. They are very useful.
                          You are welcome. Glad to see that they came in handy to you as well

Comment

Why aren't we able to add a question & answer along with an image verification from the admincp? Wouldn't that make spam registration ever more difficult?

Comment

Some time ago I stepped up the Capcha security screening, and until about a week ago it was very effective at screening spambots. But now I am suddenly getting quite a few gate-crashers through registration with emails from aol.com. This is a first, aol,com has never been an issue in the past. Any ideas why spam would suddenly be appearing to come from aol? I assume it isn't really.

I believe I will be adding the security question for new registrants. Need to screen the new wave of spammers, however they are getting through to the holding pen of COPPA usergroup.

Comment