Maintenance Backup Option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Maintenance Backup Option?

In the user manual it states under backup go to the Admin CP panel go to Maintenance then backup Database

When I go to my cp and maintenance I have no backup database option?

Originally posted by RVNUTS View Post
    In the user manual it states under backup go to the Admin CP panel go to Maintenance then backup Database

When I go to my cp and maintenance I have no backup database option?
    That options has been removed in vb 4x serie. Try to backup your dataabse through phpmyadmin or other tools like mysqldumper etc.

Comment

OK that explains it, I do have phpmyadmin installed on my yahoo domain so since yahoo only uses mysql for the database this is all I have to backup just mysql? What about all the files in the folder I copied the Vbulletin into on my yahoo domain? Before my message base grows as the old message base still in use has 1200 users so I will need to know how to backup our clubs vbulletin should something happen?

phpmyadmin backup mysql file that is the entire backup for the entire forum and all?

Comment

Will this backup idea work?

I have myphpadmin on my yahoo server so I use this back up mysql database
        THen I use Filezilla and copy my Vbulletin folder to my local computer?

I did copy my Vbulletin from the server using filezilla it all copied but two files?

Comment

It should but you should try to learn how to do Database backups via SSH which is more reliable.
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

SSH is this what the backup script is for in the do not upload folder?

Comment

OK where do I get SSH for windows found one site that has PUTTY but very confusing so many files not sure what I need.

Where would the best place be to download the SSH for windows 7 (thanks)

Comment

Originally posted by RVNUTS View Post
                OK where do I get SSH for windows found one site that has PUTTY but very confusing so many files not sure what I need.

Where would the best place be to download the SSH for windows 7 (thanks)
                For that you must have telnet access? Ask your host if it allows it.

A suggestion if I may, when you do the backup, don''t leave it at that but test it to make sure that it is done properly. i.e. create a test site using a different db and restore there the backup you make from your main forum. So if the time comes that you will need to use that backup, you won''t be in for a surprise to find out that it doesn''t work.

Comment

Originally posted by borbole View Post
                  Ask your host if it allows it.
                  Yahoo does not allow it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Yahoo does not allow what Putty of SSH?

Comment

It sounds like Yahoo is too restrictive on the users. My host offers cpanel which in my opinion is good for those that aren't hip to SSH. I back up my database once a week and my home directory once a month. All my pictures are in the file system so I have to back up the home directory once in a while just in case. Cpanel has a lot of other helpful features and it's user friendly.
                      If you go shopping for another host, shop carefully. There's a lot of hustlers out there.
                      And the reason VB removed the backup built in is it had time out issues.

Comment

SORRY but I do not understand this backup I try to use the Mphpadmin but get an error followed the documentation from the Vbulletin files but that is for Myphpadmin version 2.5 and I am using Version 2.11,9.6 guess there are some other options to set that they do not have on the old instructions.

Yahoo has an mysql backup and I back that up to a folder and it is ok. I am OLD use to backing things up using norton and tape backup etc.

When I look at the mysql databases on Yahoo it does list by Vbulletin folder as one so when I use Yahoo Mysql backup and run their backup does this backup my Vbulletin also?

Sorry for being DUMB but don't exactly understand this process.

Comment

Just to help clarify, Putty is a program that lets you start a telnet / SSH session. SSH is a kind of protocol like WWW or FTP. When you are connected to your server via SSH, you get something that looks like a DOS command prompt. If you are on a windows server, it might be a Command Prompt. Most servers run Linux so you will get the linux equivalent.

I'm not to familar with Yahoo or the tools that they offer. Can you download the backup to your computer? What does the file name end in? Is it something like sql.zip or sql.tar.gz?
                          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Well thank you I understad that and prompt I know started using Atari & Commodore before dos came out.
                            What I do not understand if how backing up mysql database backup the folder I have my Vbulletin stored in?

Anyway mysql file format that Yahoo lets me back up using there mysql the file name is mysqldada2010-07-26-04-02.tar.qz

They av no way to let me download it from my doman however I can download it to my computer using Filezilla. (THANKS sure trying to get this backup down before I make ur new forums active I like VB getting it now real cool and POWERFUL)

Comment

Been thinking of this??

I have my Vbulletin program in one folder.
                              Then we have mysql

What does mysql do act as the go between to pass information from Vbulletin folder to the server?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X