Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the 'Gold' Lock in CMS Permissions ...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

My Commuter:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Blacksmith tricycle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	3679716

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    The Top Level Should always have a Gold Lock since you need to set your permissions at the top level.

Leave a comment:

• vilhiem
    replied
    So ... the TOP LEVEL will ALWAYS have a Gold Lock on it ...?

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    No, at the top level permissions MUST be set, everything else needs something to inherit FROM. Remove permissions shows in all but the top level for me.

Leave a comment:

• vilhiem
    replied
    BUT ... at the top level, where I see the Gold Lock ... when I click on it ... I do NOT see the option to "Remove Permissions".

In fact, it appears as though the "Remove Permissions" only shows up on the Unlocked Sections ... which seems odd.

I dunno ... maybe I'm missing something ???

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    If you revert the sections permissions, it inheirts from the next next highest node with permissions.

So if this is our tree

• HOME
      • Foo
        • Foo News
          • Special Events
      • Bar
      • Moo
      • Zoo
    So as our current layout home, foo, and special events have custom permissions. If you revert special events, it gets its permissions from foo.

Leave a comment:

• vilhiem
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynne View Post
    Go to Permissions > click on the Section name next to the Gold Lock > verify that section name is showing at the top > click on Remove Permissions
    Thanks Lynne ... but will that REMOVE the lock and restore everythin back to the original settings ...?

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    If nothing is checked AND there is no Gold Lock next to the Section*, then the permissions are inherited from the sections above.

* If there is a Gold Lock and nothing is checked, it could be that the admin set no permissions for anyone for that section, which is possible also. So, look for the Gold Lock to show you that permissions were set specifically for that section.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Hey Lynn! I've hesitated to do that because I don't want to "remove" permissions. I've been assuming that if nothing is checked, it inherits fro the higher level. Does that hold true if you "remove permissions" too?

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    Go to Permissions > click on the Section name next to the Gold Lock > verify that section name is showing at the top > click on Remove Permissions

Leave a comment:

• vilhiem
    replied
    Thanks ... but like you said ...

How do I revert this back to normal ...???

I also find it odd that if you look at the permissions within any of the sections that have not been modified ... NONE of the checkboxes are checked (either granting or denying permissions). In fact, I believe the default settings had none of these checked.

Very confusing.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    The gold lock means you have customized the permissions in that section. I haven't found any way to revert it.

Leave a comment:

• vilhiem
    started a topic [Forum] What is the 'Gold' Lock in CMS Permissions ...?

What is the 'Gold' Lock in CMS Permissions ...?

ok ... as usual ... I'm totally confused with another "feature" of vBulletin.

I was trying to allow HTML code in my articles (which is a whole 'nother headache and illogical and inconsistent) ... but in doing so ... I must have altered some of the CMS Permissions.

Now, I see a 'gold' lock on the main site (the highest parent-level). I don't remember doing this ... but HOW do I reset this back to default ...???

How can this be "un-locked" ...?

Thanks!!!
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X