Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relogin being required on lengthy post composition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Relogin being required on lengthy post composition...

I am getting a complaint from users who are saying they are losing their post content due to lengthy post compilation times of perhaps 40 minutes or more. After creating a lengthy post and then clicking the submit button, the forum says they must login again and their post is lost.

Is there a setting which limits the maximum post creation time before a person has to log back into the forum? Btw...one instance of this issue was from a person with full admin permissions.

Thanks!

Change global cookie time from 900 seconds to something else, like 1800 or 7200
    note, the online users sessions will be longer too, so they appear to be online longer (even after closing browser tab).

Comment

If a user checks remember me, they will never be logged out.

By default the Session Timeout, its 900 seconds which is 15 min. You can increase this if you want.

Comment

Zachery, so if I open a browser, login with remember me checked, and go to new thread, walk away, come back after 12 months, the session hasn't timed out?
        If you don't make any actions, the session isn't extended, as far as I know. Pretty cool if I am wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I will try altering the global cookie time and see if that eliminates the issue.

Comment

If Zach is correct, there was a hack posted somewhere recently that showed how to hard code the remember me checked as default too. If the user doesn't like it when they log in (for example a library computer, they can just log out manually, or uncheck the remember me when the log in.....

Edit: ah, here it is.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/conte...ked-by-Default
            Last edited by wcguy; Thu 8th Jul '10, 10:18pm. Reason: found reccommended hack

Comment

I wouldn't change the timeout settings for everyone just because a user takes 30 minutes to write a post. I tell them to compose articles elsewhere and paste them, or refresh the page periodically.

Comment

Originally posted by MrPisky View Post
                I am getting a complaint from users who are saying they are losing their post content due to lengthy post compilation times of perhaps 40 minutes or more. After creating a lengthy post and then clicking the submit button, the forum says they must login again and their post is lost.

Is there a setting which limits the maximum post creation time before a person has to log back into the forum? Btw...one instance of this issue was from a person with full admin permissions.

Thanks!
                Out of curiosity, are you using 3.8.5 or greater?
                http://www.sticksports.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X