Polls replacing each other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Polls replacing each other

I've been working on a forum for a customer of mine, and he's been having a problem with new polls replacing old ones. As soon as anyone starts a new poll, it replaces other polls on the site. We've tried upgrading to vB4.0 and that did not fix the problem. I believe the problem may have started when the last web guy upgraded to 4.0 a while back, freaked out, and then went back to 3.8.5. I have no idea how he went about it, but since then the polls have not worked! I've tried shutting down all the plugins and even using a stock template and it does nothing.

Any ideas on how I can repair this? Has anyone else ever come across this problem?

Anyone?

Comment

24 hour minimum wait before bumping your thread.

And how did this guy downgrade back to 3.8.5? Properly, or all in a hash? If so, might be worth going up to vB4 on a test site with a copied database and seeing if that works better....

Comment

Originally posted by Kirsebom View Post
        Anyone?
        Sorry,that is a very strange behaviour,probably have to open a ticket for that.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by icarusforde View Post
          And how did this guy downgrade back to 3.8.5? Properly, or all in a hash? If so, might be worth going up to vB4 on a test site with a copied database and seeing if that works better....
          There is no way of knowing what the guy did. All we know is that he was sloppy. I got them upgraded to vB4, and still no luck. It's really goofy.

Comment

Hm, odd. Have you tried rebuilding indexes and such?

Comment

Yeah, I did that last night. Still the same. As soon as I vote on a poll, it redirects me to a different poll thread, with the new poll showing, replacing the poll that had been in that thread. So goofy.

Comment

Is it on shared hosting? Make sure you add a unique prefix per forum on the server if you are using a cache.

Have you run a check for suspect file versions?

Comment

Originally posted by punchbowl View Post
                  Is it on shared hosting? Make sure you add a unique prefix per forum on the server if you are using a cache.

Have you run a check for suspect file versions?
                  Yes, it's on shared hosting. Are you saying to add a prefix to the database tables? Like "vb4_".

Yeah, I've run a check for the file versions. I'll double check though. Thanks!

Comment

There are two tables associated with polls:

poll
                    pollvote

I suggest you compare these two tables against another working version of vbulletin and verify the structure is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirsebom View Post
                      Yes, it's on shared hosting. Are you saying to add a prefix to the database tables? Like "vb4_".

Yeah, I've run a check for the file versions. I'll double check though. Thanks!
                      no, in your config.php. Obviously it'll only apply if there is caching on the server. It's in the section

PHP Code:
                      // ******** DATASTORE PREFIX ******
                          // If you are using a PHP Caching system (APC, XCache, eAccelerator) with more
                          // than one set of forums installed on your host, you *may* need to use a prefix
                          // so that they do not try to use the same variable within the cache.
                          // This works in a similar manner to the database table prefix.

$config['Datastore']['prefix'] = ''

Comment

Thank you Andy and punchbowl! I'll take a look

punchbowl, just to clarify, if I ad a prefix in the config file, will it automatically create the prefix in the database? Or will I have to do that manually?

Comment

Originally posted by punchbowl View Post
                          PHP Code:
                          // ******** DATASTORE PREFIX ******
                              // If you are using a PHP Caching system (APC, XCache, eAccelerator) with more
                              // than one set of forums installed on your host, you *may* need to use a prefix
                              // so that they do not try to use the same variable within the cache.
                              // This works in a similar manner to the database table prefix.

$config['Datastore']['prefix'] = ''
                          Gotcha! Not the database prefix, but datastore! I've never noticed this before. If everything is cancelled out, that probably means that it doesn't apply to me?

Comment

In case anyone ever runs into the issue of polls taking over each other, here is the fix:

1. Delete all the polls on your site
                            2. Delete all items in the database tables "poll" and "pollvote"
                            3. Repair/Optimize tables in vB AdminCP

Hope this helps someone!

Andy

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X