Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas why my banner ads only show on the original vb style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Any ideas why my banner ads only show on the original vb style?

I have another style that I use on vb4 and for some reason, banner ads will not show up on my style? When I look at the hook location in the page source on my new style, the hook is empty, however the banners work fine on the original style that came with vb.

Something that I am missing? I created the style in vb so I am not sure what I could have done to screw this up? Also, when I add a banner, it shows that the additional styles are being updated.

Thanks for any ideas!
    Have you Beat Your Truck today?

If you have created a template like $advert, or placed the banner code into an existing template then remember that you will need to recreate that $advert template/code in your new style. Custom templates and edited templates are style specific.

Comment

Hi NickyDee.

I didn't create any templates. Just added the banner via the Ad Manager in the AdminCP. Works on the style that came with vb4, doesn't work on the style I modified via stylevars to match my color scheme etc.

OK...comparing xml's again (style that works versus the one that does not), I see the style that does not has several templates that are 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 and the style that works is all listed as 4.0.3 (which is what the forum is at right now). Is this a clue?

I am stumped......HELP!!!!

Here's what I am talking about on the version notes:

PHP Code:
          <templategroup name="Ad Location">
              <
      template name="ad_" templatetype="template" date="1264478180" username="chris" version="4.0.1"><![CDATA[<div id='ad_'></div>]]></template>
              <
      template name="ad_board_below_whats_going_on" templatetype="template" date="1264567685" username="chris" version="4.0.1"><![CDATA[<div id='ad_board_below_whats_going_on'></div>]]></template>
              <
      template name="ad_forum_below_threadlist" templatetype="template" date="1273715578" username="" version="4.0.2" />
              <
      template name="ad_global_above_footer" templatetype="template" date="1264730241" username="chris" version="4.0.1"><![CDATA[<div id='ad_global_above_footer'></div>]]></template>
              <
      template name="ad_global_below_navbar" templatetype="template" date="1270091792" username="chris" version="4.0.2"><![CDATA[<div id='ad_global_below_navbar'></div>]]></template>
              <
      template name="ad_global_header1" templatetype="template" date="1264727454" username="chris" version="4.0.1"><![CDATA[<div id='ad_global_header1'></div>]]></template>
              <
      template name="ad_global_header2" templatetype="template" date="1264727356" username="chris" version="4.0.1"><![CDATA[<div id='ad_global_header2'></div>]]></template
      Last edited by beatyourtruck; Sun 4 Jul '10, 6:42pm.

Comment

If you are running 4.0.3, but your templates are saying an earlier version, then yes, specific aspects will not work unless you revert / merge the release enhancements within them.

Comment

Thank you very much for the confirmation anthonyparsons. How exactly would I do merge/revert the style? I found the "Find Updated Templates" link in the AdminCP but it says "All templates are up-to-date.".

Would I use the "Revert all templates" option in the Style Manager under the style I am having trouble with? Or would that wipe out any changes I have made with stylevars or my additional.css file?

All of my changes thus far have been vis the styevars and in the additional CSS files so I am guessing this (Revert all templates" option in the Style Manager under the style I am having trouble with) is what I need to do but would like confirmation that I am not going to destroy countless hours of work! LOL

Thanks.

Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
          If you are running 4.0.3, but your templates are saying an earlier version, then yes, specific aspects will not work unless you revert / merge the release enhancements within them.
          Last edited by beatyourtruck; Sun 4 Jul '10, 8:01pm. Reason: more info

Comment

If you revert templates, you ARE going to destroy all prior work. Either take a copy first and then revert, OR.... from the ACP control panel home, at the top you will see "Out of Date Custome Templates Found. Click that.

Review what the templates are first. For example, I have 57 templates out of date on my main install, but they are all a mobile style which does not require the latest build to deliver content. When you upgrade, you will normally see templates within your style that need your attention. If you see those, then these are the problem. The best thing to do is use the comparison and merge features, to review old content, new content, and then manually piece it together and save.

Comment

I do not have the template warning on my admincp page, strangely enough? I know what you are talking about though.

It looks like the ad templates are empty unless you are running an ad in that template location? I found empty div tags in the templates I was trying to use.

Example: <div id='ad_board_below_whats_going_on'></div>
              I just reverted the global under navbar ad template and that seems to have fixed the issue with that ad.....guessing that is going to fix the other ad templates also. The reverted version is empty
              Last edited by beatyourtruck; Mon 5 Jul '10, 7:41am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X