X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• borbole
    replied
    Originally posted by dspinnovations View Post
    I recently purchased a vB4 site from someone. Upon entering the admin section, I noticed that the site has many previously installed modules (vB3.x, disabled, etc.). Although I'm okay with this in the short term, I would like to clean up the site so that modules that are not being used can be removed (safely, without breaking the site). Is there a good way to do this?

I was considering:
    - Install a new copy of vB4
    - (somehow) move over the database
    - Apply one module at a time to regain the functionality.

Possible Problems:
    - The DB currently has tables for the disabled modules. How can those be removed (safely)?
    - Are there dependencies that I need to know about?

This question is a bit vague because I haven't started the process. I will likely let the forum run as-is for a month or so, then make the change. Just getting a head start on thinking about it.

Roger
    The best way to go about his in my opinion would be to first make a thorough backup of your db, then uninstall and delete all the files of the custom mods/modules that you want to delete. Then delete the db tables that those modules have added. Also run this tool to compare your db to a fresh out of the box db. So if there are any custom columns added to your db tables from modules, it will detect them and you can delete them also.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...hlight=utility

Then perform the upgrade. However, if you want to play it safe, make first a duplicate of your live forum to a test forum and do the changes mentioned above+upgrade there first. So you can see how things will go.

Leave a comment:

• dspinnovations
    replied
    *bump*

Leave a comment:

• dspinnovations
    replied
    Originally posted by nakedanvil View Post
    Do not remove ANYTHING! Just make an archive directory and move the files and directories there and/or remove them up to your own computer.
    How can I clean up the install if I kept everything? It seems that some careful planning is necessary.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Do not remove ANYTHING! Just make an archive directory and move the files and directories there and/or remove them up to your own computer.

Leave a comment:

• dspinnovations
    replied
    Thanks for the info. Besides the modules, I was wondering about all the files. The site has passed through several owners, so there are tons of files in the main directory that's not part of the vB4 install. I was hoping for an easy way to do a clean transfer, but sounds like I'll need to do it manually (and carefully!)

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    You can use impex for a vb to vb import but I would try not to do that as it wont copy the info from any mods you want to keep over.

Upgrade the ones you want to keep to vb4.
    Uninstall the ones you don't.

There's a tool on vb.org that will help you compare your database to a default vb4 database. You can see what the extra fields and tables are. You can sort of tell which mods use which and then drop them if they are no longer relevant.

You can also make a post with them on vb.org and I'm sure someone will take a look at it too. Just be sure to back up your database and maybe do a test run first.

Leave a comment:

• dspinnovations
    started a topic [Forum] Cleaning up a vB4 installation

Cleaning up a vB4 installation

I recently purchased a vB4 site from someone. Upon entering the admin section, I noticed that the site has many previously installed modules (vB3.x, disabled, etc.). Although I'm okay with this in the short term, I would like to clean up the site so that modules that are not being used can be removed (safely, without breaking the site). Is there a good way to do this?

I was considering:
    - Install a new copy of vB4
    - (somehow) move over the database
    - Apply one module at a time to regain the functionality.

Possible Problems:
    - The DB currently has tables for the disabled modules. How can those be removed (safely)?
    - Are there dependencies that I need to know about?

This question is a bit vague because I haven't started the process. I will likely let the forum run as-is for a month or so, then make the change. Just getting a head start on thinking about it.

Roger