No announcement yet.

How can I change the site icon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] How can I change the site icon?

In here, the default logo of VB is letter "V"
    I want to make my own icon. Anyone can tell me how to modify?

Make a new favicon.ico file and place it in your forum / web root folder. (Delete the existing one)

You can generate a new icon easily through a site like this one: http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/
    To be updated...

Comment

I have my favicon icon. But where in my webserver files?
      What specific folder and file should I delete and replace?

Comment

Originally posted by Arae View Post
        I have my favicon icon. But where in my webserver files?
        What specific folder and file should I delete and replace?
        That was explained in post #2.

Place the new file in your web root / vbulletin root folders.

You can delete the existing favicon.ico file that came with vBulletin. It's located in the same area where your index.php file is.

If this doesn't make sense, then just search for it in your system directories.
        To be updated...

Comment

Yeah, I made it.

The next step is like this.

Add the following HTML tag to your web page after the <head> tag but before the </head> tag:

Where can I find the <head> </head>??

Comment

If you place it at the very top of your header template. This can be found in the Style Manager -> Edit templates. That should work.

Comment

It is not working. I added this on the header template.

<head><link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" ></head>

When I checked in favicon validator. here's what I received.

Notes:This page has a valid favicon.ico but it does not use a favicon link tag (<link rel="shortcut icon" ...> or <link rel="icon" ...>). Although this is not a problem, the favicon link tag is likely to be more compatible with upcoming browser versions.

Comment

If you've replaced the default file with one of the same name then you don't need to edit any templates or add any HTML anywhere as it's already being called.

If you're using Internet Explorer, this can sometimes take some time to show. Other browsers are normally quicker.
                Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                -
                *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                  If you've replaced the default file with one of the same name then you don't need to edit any templates or add any HTML anywhere as it's already being called.

If you're using Internet Explorer, this can sometimes take some time to show. Other browsers are normally quicker.
                  Trevor, I would say that I sommewhat disagree with your advice, but hey, were' just talking about best practices in coding, and not something important like fixing a blown out well one mile below the ocean's surface.....

Someone either needs to :

1. Create a mod like the Google adsense code that inserts the appropriate code into the header, deletes any favicon.ico found in root, and has the user supplied favicon located in images.
                  2. Rewrite the how to install / how to upgrade manual to reflect how to create your own favicon and upload.
                  3. Rewrite the how to upgrade script to check if the favicon in the root directory is different than the favicon found in the distro and if so, NOT replace it. I found out the hard way and had to recreate my favicon after blowing it out during the last upgrade because it got replaced by the default vbulletin one.

Your advice would cause the user to lose his favicon in an upgrade.

Comment

I followed your steps but my icon is still the default. I used different browsers to check, but still the default.

And now I deleted my favicon.ico in my root folder, and the icon is still the default even after deletion.

Its not working on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post

As he said.
                      Browsing with IE8 I still have IE's default icon, while with FF the new new one is showing up.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Arae View Post
                        I followed your steps but my icon is still the default. I used different browsers to check, but still the default.

And now I deleted my favicon.ico in my root folder, and the icon is still the default even after deletion.

Its not working on me.
                        Perhaps your ISP is using a proxy server?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X