Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] File security question

Hi,

I have a question, which I can't find an answer to in Google or here.
    We have an car forum, and I have manuals in PDF format.
    Now I want to place that pdf files on my server, and give access to the files.
    That isn't to hard.. But I want that only the logged in users have rights to download the file.

If users aren't logged in, they may not access the file.
    Is there some fix/idea for the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Well, of course you can put the links in a private forum. What is your motive for keeping them secret? Do you sell them? Are they copyrighted? How secure do they really need to be? Just from the casual user? From determined hackers or international terrorists? If the former. just make them private. If the latter, you're toast! I mean I see people trying to keep things "secure" that are in the public domain. Without encryption, anyone with the url can download it.

Comment

As you maybe know is the car world quite big. Everyone wants to download these manuals. It's all free, but it costs my webspace/traffic.
      So I only want to make sure that members of my community/forum can download this.

There is no money involved in the manuals..

Comment

OK, so you just want security from unregistered guest having easy access. You can do that with a private forum or by setting CMS permissions if you'll be putting them in the CMS. It will be easier for them to just join your forum than trying to get them any other way.

If you need more help let us know where you want to put them. Cheers!

Comment

Unregistered users can't look at our forum, so that part is already "protected".
          They must now register and introduce him/herself to have access on the complete board.

But when they have an link to a manual, they can post the download link on other forums, and that is not what I want. Because before you know, they use my server as downloadplace for manuals. I only want that for my own users.

Comment

I believe there is something that can be done in HTaccess to give you another level of file security. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help out.

Comment

Anyone who can tell more about this issue?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X