Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nakedanvil
    replied
    That was a "RANT"? Seemed like a clear explanation of the various options and pitfalls to me. IF you had put in a support ticket eight days ago when you started this thread, it would be fixed by now (or "dealt with properly" as you say) instead of you yelling "sexist"! You would be amazed at how many people take "short cuts", hence Mikes question just to confirm.

As it was a part of the original download and is not required for the function of product, it's really understandable that they don't put a lot of effort into your requirement.

Well "Honey", that's how I see it.
    Last edited by nakedanvil; Sun 27 Jun '10, 6:12pm.

Leave a comment:

• AliceHoward
    replied
    Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
    The method is to install it when you install the software, otherwise you make the choice not to install it. Doing so after the fact is really just asking for issues, as stated, the old sample data is not nice if you try and hack it into the database after the fact. If you don't have some programming skills and knowledge, then you shouldn't be attempting it, which is what I believe Mike is asking off you by submitting a support ticket and letting them fix it for you, instead of you trying to fix something you possibly don't understand and may create further errors. If you know MySQL, then you can just take the file and run it as a query in the DB, which is much nicer than trying to do it via the browser. Seriously, you should listen to the staff because they are the experts at this. The help post from Lynne is not going to work for everyone, because you will get server incompatibilities, software conflicts, etc. Either reinstall the entire thing if you haven't created content yet, or let staff correct the issue for you, instead of abusing people who are trying to help you.

WOW, you really need to read posts properly before you respond to them, do you always rant like that or is it just a thing with women, you do know we have a brain too don't you!

Hi thrylos, I have tried that several times before honey, I never ask for help until I have exhausted my every conceivable option, it's a horrible shame I cannot get this worked out, I'm at a complete loss, it's quite scary that the developers don't seem to know how to put this right isn't it.

Leave a comment:

• thrylos
    replied
    Originally posted by AliceHoward View Post
    Hi Mystics, of course I tried everything in Lynne's post, that is quite rude asking such a question, it's almost as if you expect us to have no understanding of instructions and how to follow them, very rude! The error reported by thrylos is the exact error I got when I tried Lynne's method, it is the same error a lot of others got using Lynne's method, a fair few people have been told to open a support ticket and didn't get any support, I don't understand why this is not being dealt with properly.

If there is NOT a method of doing this then why is no one being honest with us?
    If there IS a method of doing this why isn't it being posted?

uninstall CMS and reinstall it, adding it as a new product. it was too easy at last...

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    The method is to install it when you install the software, otherwise you make the choice not to install it. Doing so after the fact is really just asking for issues, as stated, the old sample data is not nice if you try and hack it into the database after the fact. If you don't have some programming skills and knowledge, then you shouldn't be attempting it, which is what I believe Mike is asking off you by submitting a support ticket and letting them fix it for you, instead of you trying to fix something you possibly don't understand and may create further errors. If you know MySQL, then you can just take the file and run it as a query in the DB, which is much nicer than trying to do it via the browser. Seriously, you should listen to the staff because they are the experts at this. The help post from Lynne is not going to work for everyone, because you will get server incompatibilities, software conflicts, etc. Either reinstall the entire thing if you haven't created content yet, or let staff correct the issue for you, instead of abusing people who are trying to help you.

Leave a comment:

• AliceHoward
    replied
    Originally posted by thrylos View Post
    at fisrt, i had a problem copying the 6 files of the widget dir at a wrong directory, tried to update the files from the patch release. the cms messed up.

i fixed the problem, but the default content was missing.

trying to add the missing content, i followed exactly the steps in this post (both ways), and now i'm hitting my head on the wall, while i receice the following error, at the cms page (the rest, forum and blog work fine):

thank you in advance!
    Originally posted by Mystics View Post
    You should open a support ticket to get this fixed.

Hi Mystics, of course I tried everything in Lynne's post, that is quite rude asking such a question, it's almost as if you expect us to have no understanding of instructions and how to follow them, very rude! The error reported by thrylos is the exact error I got when I tried Lynne's method, it is the same error a lot of others got using Lynne's method, a fair few people have been told to open a support ticket and didn't get any support, I don't understand why this is not being dealt with properly.

If there is NOT a method of doing this then why is no one being honest with us?
    If there IS a method of doing this why isn't it being posted?

Leave a comment:

• Michael König
    replied
    You should open a support ticket to get this fixed.

Leave a comment:

• thrylos
    replied
    at fisrt, i had a problem copying the 6 files of the widget dir at a wrong directory, tried to update the files from the patch release. the cms messed up.

i fixed the problem, but the default content was missing.

trying to add the missing content, i followed exactly the steps in this post (both ways), and now i'm hitting my head on the wall, while i receice the following error, at the cms page (the rest, forum and blog work fine):

Rerouting recursion with: error/500 on line 222 in [path]/vb/router.php
    #0 [path]/vb/router.php(269): vB_Router::getResponse('error/500')
    #1 [path]/vb/router.php(269): vB_Router::getResponse('error/500')
    #2 [path]/vb/bootstrap.php(58): vB_Router::getResponse()
    #3 [path]/content.php(30): require_once('[path]/pu...')
    #4 [path]/index.php(56): require('[path]/pu...')
    #5 {main}

Fatal error: Rerouting recursion with: error/500 on line 222 in [path]/vb/router.php in [path]/vb/vb.php on line 287
    #0 vb_error_handler(256, Rerouting recursion with: error/500 on line 222 in [path]/vb/router.php , [path]/vb/vb.php, 287, Array ([exception] => vB_Exception_Critical Object ([] => ,[] => ,[] => ,[] => ,[] => ,[] => ,[] => Rerouting recursion with: error/500,[] => ,[] => 0,[] => [path]/vb/router.php,[] => 222,[] => Array ([0] => Array ([file] => [path]/vb/router.php,[line] => 269,[function] => getResponse,[class] => vB_Router,[type] => ::,[args] => Array ([0] => error/500)),[1] => Array ([file] => [path]/vb/router.php,[line] => 269,[function] => getResponse,[class] => vB_Router,[type] => ::,[args] => Array ([0] => error/500)),[2] => Array ([file] => [path]/vb/bootstrap.php,[line] => 58,[function] => getResponse,[class] => vB_Router,[type] => ::,[args] => Array ()),[3] => Array ([file] => [path]/content.php,[line] => 30,[args] => Array ([0] => [path]/vb/bootstrap.php),[function] => require_once),[4] => Array ([file] => [path]/index.php,[line] => 56,[args] => Array ([0] => [path]/content.php),[function] => require))),[code] => 256)) called at [(null):0] #1 trigger_error(Rerouting recursion with: error/500 on line 222 in [path]/vb/router.php , 256) called at [[path]/vb/vb.php:287] #2 vB::handleException(vB_Exception_Critical Object ([] => ,[] => ,[] => ,[] => ,[] => ,[] => ,[] => Rerouting recursion with: error/500,[] => ,[] => 0,[] => [path]/vb/router.php,[] => 222,[] => Array ([0] => Array ([file] => [path]/vb/router.php,[line] => 269,[function] => getResponse,[class] => vB_Router,[type] => ::,[args] => Array ([0] => error/500)),[1] => Array ([file] => [path]/vb/router.php,[line] => 269,[function] => getResponse,[class] => vB_Router,[type] => ::,[args] => Array ([0] => error/500)),[2] => Array ([file] => [path]/vb/bootstrap.php,[line] => 58,[function] => getResponse,[class] => vB_Router,[type] => ::,[args] => Array ()),[3] => Array ([file] => [path]/content.php,[line] => 30,[args] => Array ([0] => [path]/vb/bootstrap.php),[function] => require_once),[4] => Array ([file] => [path]/index.php,[line] => 56,[args] => Array ([0] => [path]/content.php),[function] => require)))) called at [(null):0]
    thank you in advance!
    Last edited by thrylos; Sat 26 Jun '10, 4:23pm.

Leave a comment:

• Michael König
    replied
    You mentioned Lynne's method in your first post...did you try everything she mentioned here?
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...fault-CMS-Data

Especially the things about the IDs and the open_basedir setting are very important.

But as said, those default data really isn't that important. 90% of it you don't even need. And the other 10% can easily be created manually (new grid, new layout, widgets you want to have).

Leave a comment:

• AliceHoward
    replied
    Yeah okay, so I have tried it that way and it gave me a thundering headache, there are too many things to try to figure out with no default data in place and I don't have enough continuous free time on my hands to figure it out.

Are the developers even bothering to look into a workable method of getting the default CMS data in place after the event of the install, it is ridiculous that there isn't a method already, I am starting to get very annoyed now as I have paid a lot of money to have this CMS and I can't even use the blasted thing.

This does need addressing and I am losing patience, I am quite sure I am not the only one!

Leave a comment:

• AliceHoward
    replied
    Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
    Your actually better off to not use the default data, as it is old and does contain some flaws that I have found previously. You are best to begin with a clean slate and learn the system from the ground up. It takes about an hour or two and you will be a pro at the CMS. Just read the docs, play with it, get hands on and you will find out just how easy it is. The default data will hinder you, trust me on this one.
    Okay honey, I will try it this way, I was just being lazy in truth as I am so very busy trying to update our vB4 styles to 4.0.4, what a nightmare they are proving, when I have time spare I will try what you suggest.

Alice x

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    Your actually better off to not use the default data, as it is old and does contain some flaws that I have found previously. You are best to begin with a clean slate and learn the system from the ground up. It takes about an hour or two and you will be a pro at the CMS. Just read the docs, play with it, get hands on and you will find out just how easy it is. The default data will hinder you, trust me on this one.

Leave a comment:

• AliceHoward
    replied
    Oh this is embarrassing, I am having to bump this as I really need an answer if there is one please.

Leave a comment:

• AliceHoward
    started a topic [CMS] default CMS data

default CMS data

Has anyone figured out how to get the default CMS data to import during an upgrade, I have seen some other threads on this subject and no solution has come forth yet.

I initially didn't want the CMS because it was too complicated for me to understand, but now I should like to try getting it up and running on my site. During the upgrade process I do not get prompted to add a user-name for the default CMS data to get populated. I have tried Lynne's method for 4.0.3 (I'm on 4.0.4) and it gave me a whole world of hurt with errors I couldn't even start to understand so I had to replace the database with a back-up (again!).

I have tried so many times now re-running the upgrade process to try and get the default data but to no avail. I realise I could make a fresh install with nothing on the site and I would then have the CMS data but I cannot afford to lose the site content we have. It is very frustrating that I am unable to figure out how to get this data installed, I keep looking at the settings for the CMS in the admincp and in truth I am completely lost, I cannot even figure out where to start.

It would help tremendously if the default data were there so I could learn from that how to set-up the CMS. If anyone knows how to get the data to import would you please tell me how to do it.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X